Is it a bad idea to pay the enrollment fee for my #2 school before hearing back from my #1?

Verbena97

Question

Hi, I'm new to gradcafe so if this question has been asked a lot before, my apologies, I didn't see it. A few days ago I was accepted into Emerson College's online Speech Pathology program (Sept 2019 cohort), and I was told that I'd need to pay my intent to enroll deposit within 2 weeks to secure my spot. I didn't expect the fee to be due so soon since they have both a January and May cohort as well. My top choice program is Temple University, and I will not hear back until March. Emerson's deposit is $400 and while money is tight, I'd be willing to pay the fee to secure my spot in the event that I do not get accepted into Temple. Is this a bad idea? 

4 answers to this question

If it's your second choice and this is what you need to do to have a spot there, it sounds like you should pay the deposit.

But it sucks that there is a deposit that is that high and due that soon.

You might want to just try asking if they can give you until March.

I was accepted to Emerson as well (for May cohort.) I was trying to decide between both schools and hear about scholarships, etc, and they were so nice and flexible about giving me an extension. I didn’t need an extension quite that long, but I would be honest with them saying you would like to hear back from another school first then to at least see what they say.

Hi all,

I have a similar question. How did everyone complete their observation hours and earn their experience? I am just completing the first year of my bachelors program for CSDO. I have purchased some GRE books to get a early start on my pre. Any advise for volunterring or how to start actually getting observation hours before graduate school? I just want to be prepared.