LoR's and Flexibility of Deadline

Quaaliaa

Hi All!

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how flexible application deadlines are for letter writers. It's my understanding that they're somewhat flexible. Meaning that letter writers can get their LoRs in a bit after the deadline for the actual application, but I don't have a good sense of how flexible they actually are. Does anyone happen to know, generally, how late is too late? (Of course, I am sure this also depends on the school but if anyone who is already in a PhD program has some insight into this, it would be very helpful)! 

Thanks a bunch!

9 hours ago, Quaaliaa said:

Hi All!

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how flexible application deadlines are for letter writers. It's my understanding that they're somewhat flexible. Meaning that letter writers can get their LoRs in a bit after the deadline for the actual application, but I don't have a good sense of how flexible they actually are. Does anyone happen to know, generally, how late is too late? (Of course, I am sure this also depends on the school but if anyone who is already in a PhD program has some insight into this, it would be very helpful)! 

Thanks a bunch!

It seems to depend on the school. I recall one of them saying that all materials, including letters, had to be in on time to be considered.

But I also know that my LOR came late for several professors for several schools. Sigh. I don't think I got an offer from any school that didn't have them all in on time, but I didn't get that many offers either. [edit] Looks like I did. Two letters were late for that school, too!

Edited by Duns Eith

10 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

It seems to depend on the school. I recall one of them saying that all materials, including letters, had to be in on time to be considered.

But I also know that my LOR came late for several professors for several schools. Sigh. I don't think I got an offer from any school that didn't have them all in on time, but I didn't get that many offers either. [edit] Looks like I did. Two letters were late for that school, too!

Thanks! It's helpful to know that you still got offers where letter were late!