Canadian going to school in the States

Hey guys! So I'm Canadian and applying to programs in the States this year... and school is significantly more expensive there than it is here. I'm just wondering if there are any Canadian students who are in the same boat or who have gone/are planning on going to school in the States. I'm curious to know how you manage to pay for the crazy expensive tuition, plus the cost of living on top of that. I know this is what I want to do, and I definitely have a better chance of getting in in the States than in Canada... but thinking about the money side of things is starting to stress me out! 

I hesitated to go to school in the US for audiology but it was way to expensive.

This will ultimately depend on you and if you can get scholarships. If you are willing to take on a lot of school dept, great if not perhaps waiting another year and reapplying to Canadian schools would be better. Good luck.

I'm not from Canada, but you could apply to just a couple schools that are less expensive and see what happens. The school I ended up going to is the one of the most affordable of the schools I applied to.

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2019 at 10:27 PM, ataylor said:

Hey guys! So I'm Canadian and applying to programs in the States this year... and school is significantly more expensive there than it is here. I'm just wondering if there are any Canadian students who are in the same boat or who have gone/are planning on going to school in the States. I'm curious to know how you manage to pay for the crazy expensive tuition, plus the cost of living on top of that. I know this is what I want to do, and I definitely have a better chance of getting in in the States than in Canada... but thinking about the money side of things is starting to stress me out! 

I was planning to apply to programs in the US this year, but decided not to once I calculated how it expensive it would be as an international student. I agree that thinking about the money is stressful. I know some schools have part time TA positions that can help cut down tuition and there are scholarships for international students too. I personally couldn't imagine spending that much money to attend the master's program in the US, so I will just keep working and applying to Canadian schools until I get accepted.

I'm not an international student, but I know Minot State University charges the same price to international students as in-state students. I think it's under 15k/year.