waiting it out... IMMUNOLOGY programs

zigzzz

Dear All, 

Can we summarize some immunology programs profiles/results under this topic? 

I am transitioning from biochemistry to immunology, and I knew it is a very hard and competitive field. I applied to 12 programs; 8 of them are for immunology,  or immunology track under a comprehensive program. I have 2 interviews from umbrella programs, but have not heard any news from IMM programs I applied for. 

There are information under the results session, but I want to involve in some discussion about this specific subject

Thanks. 

56 minutes ago, kayla33 said:

I guess it's extremely hard for international students...from the info of result session, it seems like only the perfect candidates got interviews (GPA3.9 V170/Q170 w/publications and research experience).

I was expecting this, but still, it is horrified to learn about it again. I am also an international applicant without much background in immunology.

10 hours ago, zigzzz said:

I applied to 12 programs; 8 of them are for immunology,  or immunology track under a comprehensive program. I have 2 interviews from umbrella programs, but have not heard any news from IMM programs I applied for. 

I think applying to umbrella/more flexible programs (that include a solid list of immunology faculty) is a smart move for someone trying to switch into the field. I would say that when I interviewed with Imm specific programs, most of the other interviewees I talked to did have considerable Imm research experience or exposure (e.g. worked in microbio or cancer labs that dabbled in immunology).

8 hours ago, kayla33 said:

it seems like only the perfect candidates got interviews (GPA3.9 V170/Q170 w/publications and research experience).

I had a 3.75 GPA and 90+ percentile GREs, which I was pretty happy with, but my undergrad PI felt it'd be much safer if I had a 3.8 (he brought it up multiple times during my senior year and I was like, I really appreciate the input but at this point it's mathematically impossible LOL). 

I have also applied to PhD programs with a focus on immunology. I applied to a total of 12 programs, got one acceptance from the Ohio State University (umbrella program) and interview from Mayo clinic (IMM program). 

No communication from the remaining programs. I am also an international student but my undergraduate education was in the U.S.

undergrad GPA: 3.67

3 strong LORs

1 second author publication.

1.5 years research experience in a cancer lab. 

Did not submit GRE scores.

Hoping to hear from more schools soon ?

Edited by M246

5 minutes ago, M246 said:

Any news from immunology programs? I have only heard from Gerstner Sloan Kettering (rejection) and Mayo clinic (Interview)...

I heard back from Baylor Immunology (interview) and also received a rejection from GSK, which I fully expected. I haven't heard from anywhere else. I applied to 7 immunology/umbrella programs and 3 bioengineering programs. I'm thinking of throwing in one last application to Cedars Sinai (due 1/31) if I don't hear back from anyone else this month.

Profile: BS in Biology (3.25) and MS in Bioengineering (3.85) from Northeastern. I did three co-ops/full time internships for a total of 22 months, one in microbio and biochem in military research, two in protein engineering and characterization in immuno-oncology companies. I worked for three years post-grad at an immuno-oncology company, focusing on protein biochemistry and biophysics. I pivoted last year to work in a CAR-T company, focusing on biochemical characterization of binders for CARs, then screening for function in T cells. I have one mid-author publication in a clinical journal and four posters at various immunology and protein engineering conferences. My LOR vary based on the program, but I have two direct managers that are biochemists (one alum of a program that I'm applying to), one co-worker that lead a project team I was on who is a former immunology professor, the VP of my previous company who is an alum of a program I'm applying to, my thesis advisor, a biology professor/chair I had a class with, and the bioengineering chair who taught three classes I took.

Programs:

Immunology: UPenn, GSK, Baylor, UNC, Vanderbilt, UWashington, City of Hope

Bioengineering: MIT, GA Tech, Northeastern

I Haven't heard from the following programs:

Scripps, WashU, UT Southwestern, University of Chicago, Harvard DMS, UPenn, Emory, and CU Denver. ?

On 1/8/2020 at 3:40 PM, M246 said:

I Haven't heard from the following programs:

Scripps, WashU, UT Southwestern, University of Chicago, Harvard DMS, UPenn, Emory, and CU Denver. ?

Which program at Harvard? Harvard Immunology has likely sent out all invites (interviews happening 1/23) but not sure about the other programs.

17 hours ago, DRMF said:

Which program at Harvard? Harvard Immunology has likely sent out all invites (interviews happening 1/23) but not sure about the other programs.

Yes, Harvard DMS (Immunology) :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 8:26 AM, kayla33 said:

Rejections from Duke IMM, Yale BBS, and Dartmouth MCB....

So sorry about the rejections, I believe you will get good news soon. I also applied to  Dartmouth MCB as an international applicant but I have not heard back from them. Please did you contact them?

On 1/25/2020 at 11:17 PM, REGGAE said:

So sorry about the rejections, I believe you will get good news soon. I also applied to  Dartmouth MCB as an international applicant but I have not heard back from them. Please did you contact them?

Contacted MCB administration assistant on Jan. 6th, and she told me the department sent out all onsite interview invitations. Maybe they will contact a few international students for Skype interview? Good luck!