Fee waivers and taxes

philosopuppy

A quick question about fee waivers for PhD programs - does anyone have any idea whether, if you plan to use your tax returns to qualify for PhD fee waivers, you must file as an independent? I plan to file FAFSA for this academic year, and for FAFSA I qualify as an independent student. But my parents have claimed me as a dependent for all of the years I filed taxes. My only income is my MA stipend (~13k), but my parents obviously make more than that - would that get in the way of my qualifying for fee waivers, if they claim me as a dependent this time around?

I've done some googling and looking around on this forum, but I haven't found any information about how this works, beyond the basic "sending in your tax returns is one way to apply for a fee waiver". (I should add that my institution's fin aid office has categorically refused to write letters attesting to financial need for students in my program, so that does not appear to be an available option.)

Thanks in advance for any info!

13 hours ago, philosopuppy said:

A quick question about fee waivers for PhD programs - does anyone have any idea whether, if you plan to use your tax returns to qualify for PhD fee waivers, you must file as an independent? I plan to file FAFSA for this academic year, and for FAFSA I qualify as an independent student. But my parents have claimed me as a dependent for all of the years I filed taxes. My only income is my MA stipend (~13k), but my parents obviously make more than that - would that get in the way of my qualifying for fee waivers, if they claim me as a dependent this time around?

I've done some googling and looking around on this forum, but I haven't found any information about how this works, beyond the basic "sending in your tax returns is one way to apply for a fee waiver". (I should add that my institution's fin aid office has categorically refused to write letters attesting to financial need for students in my program, so that does not appear to be an available option.)

Thanks in advance for any info!

Different institutions have different requirements for waivers. Some will ask for the FAFSA SAR report, some that you receive SNAP or other benefits, some that you have participated in certain programs, and a few will want your tax returns.

For those schools that require the FAFSA SAR, they're going to look at your EFC (expected family contribution). If you're independent on the FAFSA, then your parents' income won't need to be included in the SAR calculation, so you'll likely be eligible since your EFC will be very low. If you're a dependent for tax purposes, though, then I doubt that you'll qualify for waivers for those programs that require your tax returns, though you might see if you can submit 2019 returns and file independently for 2019 (I know one school I applied to required the most recent return--i.e. I was applying for fall 2019 entry and they wanted my 2018 return).

14 hours ago, hector549 said:

If you're a dependent for tax purposes, though, ...

And one sufficient condition would be if you resided under someone else's roof for 6 mo or more for the tax year.

Edited by Duns Eith

19 hours ago, hector549 said:

If you're a dependent for tax purposes, though, then I doubt that you'll qualify for waivers for those programs that require your tax returns, though you might see if you can submit 2019 returns and file independently for 2019 (I know one school I applied to required the most recent return--i.e. I was applying for fall 2019 entry and they wanted my 2018 return).

This is also what I suspect, but it seems like nobody will just come out and say it in an FAQ or something. So I guess I'll just go with that, unless I find anything more explicit (in which case I will share here). Because yes, if that's the case, then I'll file as an independent this coming tax season.

Thanks for your help!

44 minutes ago, akraticfanatic said:

The FAFSA for the Fall 2020 to Spring 2021 academic year uses your tax info from the 2018 fiscal year, so I don't know if it will make a difference for you to file differently for 2019. 

I think this is mistaken.

Your FAFSA for Fall 2020-Spring 2021 would be due no later than June 30, 2021, but it would still use the tax year 2019.

For example, I recall doing a FAFSA in early 2007 for 2007-2008. It would require taxes for 2006, and the deadline for FAFSA would be June 2008 (the end of the academic year), but I would always be completing them before I began the Fall 2007 semester.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:21 PM, Duns Eith said:

I think this is mistaken.

Your FAFSA for Fall 2020-Spring 2021 would be due no later than June 30, 2021, but it would still use the tax year 2019.

For example, I recall doing a FAFSA in early 2007 for 2007-2008. It would require taxes for 2006, and the deadline for FAFSA would be June 2008 (the end of the academic year), but I would always be completing them before I began the Fall 2007 semester.

Huh, I always do mine the fall semester prior, so I've already done mine for next year, while I haven't done my taxes for 2019 yet. 

17 hours ago, akraticfanatic said:

Huh, I always do mine the fall semester prior, so I've already done mine for next year, while I haven't done my taxes for 2019 yet. 

This reduces my confidence.