NCSU and UVA for Ph.D. in Chemistry

Newstar2020

I got accepted into North Caolina State University and University of Virginia. I'm going to organic or biological chemistry, and both departments look good to me, though UVA is slightly better  (I judged it based on the academic history of PIs). 

NCSU offers a much lower stipend than UVA. I'm an international student so I have very limited budget and it seems that if I live in NC, I won't be able to get a car because the stipend won't be enough for the car expense.

The reasons that make me lean more towards NCSU are that I think NC is larger state with a greater number of population  and it's also close to other well-known schools, I'm looking to work in industry afterwards, so I believe living at NC will be an advantage. 

I'm very lost right now as I don't know what criteria should I really look into and whether all my thoughts are right. If you have any knowledge on any of these subjects, please post a reply to help me. 

Edited by Newstar2020

I did my undergrad at the University of Virginia. Took no chemistry so I can't help you there, but I can say that Charlottesville, VA is a very livable city. Also, you can easily live there without a car.  

If you have any questions about UVA more generally or the Charlottesville area I'm happy to help.