Yale History PhD Interviews?

aaaddd

Is it common practice for Yale's department to interview PhD candidates? I know it's broadly uncommon for history to conduct interviews and didn't think Yale was any different. Now I'm nervous because I applied last month there with an American focus and have had no contact from them as of yet.

Edited by BalkanItinerant

9 hours ago, BalkanItinerant said:

Is it common practice for Yale's department to interview PhD candidates? I know it's broadly uncommon for history to conduct interviews and didn't think Yale was any different. Now I'm nervous because I applied last month there with an American focus and have had no contact from them as of yet.

I think Yale is one of the schools that does do interviews, but I don't think they're necessarily done across the board. I applied EM Europe and haven't been contacted for an interview (though I reached out to/spoke with profs before I applied which might qualify as an interview for  them?), but got an email a few days ago asking my permission to move my application to a different program pool, which I assume they wouldn't do if they weren't still considering me (at least that's what I'm telling myself! lol).

All this to say I don't think a lack of an interview is a death sentence!  I obviously could be very off base and it could vary by program, but for now I'm trying to take it as a neutral "they know everything about me they need to know."

2 minutes ago, whatkilledthedinosaurs said:

Do you know if there's any info on Europe? Specifically Modern?

I don't, I'm sorry! I'm not sure even if the final selection thing applies to US as a whole or early modern US specifically. Has anyone else here heard back about interviews?

Also does not getting one mean a rejection is coming?

12 hours ago, norellehannah said:

I think Yale is one of the schools that does do interviews, but I don't think they're necessarily done across the board. I applied EM Europe and haven't been contacted for an interview (though I reached out to/spoke with profs before I applied which might qualify as an interview for  them?), but got an email a few days ago asking my permission to move my application to a different program pool, which I assume they wouldn't do if they weren't still considering me (at least that's what I'm telling myself! lol).

All this to say I don't think a lack of an interview is a death sentence!  I obviously could be very off base and it could vary by program, but for now I'm trying to take it as a neutral "they know everything about me they need to know."

Judging by what you have listed as your program, you most likely had your application sent to HSHM, which has its own application process and may have a different approach to interviews than the history department.

18 hours ago, snackademic said:

I don't, I'm sorry! I'm not sure even if the final selection thing applies to US as a whole or early modern US specifically. Has anyone else here heard back about interviews?

Also does not getting one mean a rejection is coming?

Ah, thanks anyway! Good to know that at least part of it is almost done for people lol

Argh misread those Yale Art History interviews on the results page and they gave me a false glimmer of hope. It feels really strange that there would only be two people reporting interviews in History on here, feel like it should be way more.

Or maybe I'm rationalizing so I can ignore the inevitable bad news on the way... lol

On 1/24/2020 at 4:56 AM, snackademic said:

Argh misread those Yale Art History interviews on the results page and they gave me a false glimmer of hope. It feels really strange that there would only be two people reporting interviews in History on here, feel like it should be way more.

Or maybe I'm rationalizing so I can ignore the inevitable bad news on the way... lol

Sorry, I took a break from this forum and didn't post about mine. I also had an interview a few days ago. 

On 1/25/2020 at 8:21 AM, KiraBerl said:

They didn't tell me anything about the decisions process. Late Modern Europe.

Oof, that's my field too. Hopefully I hear about an interview soon but I'm not trying to get my hopes up. 

Who exactly reached out to you about an interview? The department, a POI, etc? I'm just curious. Best of luck to you! I hope it works out.

10 minutes ago, whatkilledthedinosaurs said:

Oof, that's my field too. Hopefully I hear about an interview soon but I'm not trying to get my hopes up. 

Who exactly reached out to you about an interview? The department, a POI, etc? I'm just curious. Best of luck to you! I hope it works out.

No, it wasn't too formal or anything. My POI emailed me. Wishing you the best too!