CUNY schools

robinsparkles

I applied to Hunter, Queens College, and Brooklyn College, all CUNY schools, and haven't heard a word from any of them. I did have an interview at Hunter, and they said not to expect a decision until at least late April, but Brooklyn and Queens have been pretty much silent. Is this usual for these schools? I have a couple programs with an April 15 deadline, and I feel like I have at least another month before I hear from any of the CUNYs. Does this happen with most of the CUNY programs?

(I applied before the application deadline for all 3.)

I applied to a Hunter program with Feb. 1 deadline. Seven weeks later, after checking my status online & finding no news, I emailed the program asking if it would be possible to have an update on my app status. They responded 1 hour later with an auto-reply type message stating that my decision was available online. I logged in to see that a decision had just been posted: Rejected. I wonder if I hadn't emailed them requesting a status update, how long before the decision would have been posted online?

I also applied to CCNY program with an April 1 deadline. They emailed me that I can expect a decision in 4-6 weeks.

My best friend's applying to CUNY's Liberal Studies graduate program and her deadline was in March so that might mean she'll get her decision by May... This is her wait, but I'm anxiously waiting to see if we'll be able to study at the same city this fall!

On the other hand, I don't blame the admissions people for being slow at all, going through so many apps would make me want to strangle myself, to be honest. But as for them being disorganized...

Somewhat in the CUNY system's defense, they do run one monstrously huge system with a quarter million degree-seeking students and another quarter million non-degree individuals spread across some 20-odd campuses. Granted each particular college is different with different personalities. The school of public affairs at Baruch was incredibly helpful and went out of their way to recruit potential students from all over and ensure any visit would be successful. Since accepting, next step instructions have been clear and easy to plan around.

I also visited a program at Hunter College and well, to put it bluntly, it sucked. Staff wasn't welcoming, directed me straight to the web. Information/security desk couldnt give clear directions on where to find things. Program looked underdeveloped.

In any case I am happy with my choice. And I will be even happier once the financial stuff has been finalized.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to a Hunter program with Feb. 1 deadline. Seven weeks later, after checking my status online & finding no news, I emailed the program asking if it would be possible to have an update on my app status. They responded 1 hour later with an auto-reply type message stating that my decision was available online. I logged in to see that a decision had just been posted: Rejected. I wonder if I hadn't emailed them requesting a status update, how long before the decision would have been posted online?

I also applied to CCNY program with an April 1 deadline. They emailed me that I can expect a decision in 4-6 weeks.

Update to my above post: Accepted to CCNY April 22nd!

The admissions office at Hunter's school of arts and sciences seemed a bit disorganized. My program originally had a deadline of April 1st, which was delayed until April 15th, so I am hoping that I will hear back from them by June. A friend of mine went there as an undergraduate and said that she received her acceptance sometime in June, so who knows.

Just a friendly reminder for dealing with CUNY: don't be afraid to call the admissions office.

Here's why: I just called Queens to find out the status of my application and it had been setting there for weeks...and yep, its been complete! I felt like I just called to wake someone up. Then I was told it will take 4-6 weeks for a decision once it gets to an advisor. When I mentioned I had asked for an extension from the schools that offered me a spot so that I can get Queen's decision, I was told to call the dept. and ask them.

In the middle of January, I applied to the Master’s history program at Brooklyn College. On January 28th, the Graduate Admissions received all my documents. I was told I would receive an answer within three to six weeks. Between weeks four and six, I called admissions to see if I was accepted. Several times, I was told that my application was either in the History Department or still in the admissions office. On March 19th, I was informed that it was still not in the department. I explained to the worker that I was already told that it was in the department. The lady apologized for the miscommunication and informed me that the application would be brought over to the history department.

That following week, I received news that it was indeed at the department. Since January 28th, it has been three months. I emailed the professor who is supposed to look at my application. I emailed her monday night. She emailed me tuesday saying I will be notified shortly. It's now friday night.....no notification. The week before the professor was stuck in the Europe because of the volcano in Iceland.