University of Denver MSW 2020

Liza123

I'm wondering if people are starting to hear back? I applied at the last minute for the early deadline (12/15/19), which means I'm supposed to hear back by February 1st. I'm getting super anxious and am so tempted to call and ask.

Edited by Liza123

On 1/17/2020 at 1:09 PM, Liza123 said:

I'm wondering if people are starting to hear back? I applied at the last minute for the early deadline (12/15/19), which means I'm supposed to hear back by February 1st. I'm getting super anxious and am so tempted to call and ask.

I haven't heard anything yet but I applied for the dual masters in International Human Rights and SW. I went and visited campus back in October. Lovely place. Cheers to the wait. 

Nothing yet here either. The portal just says application is complete and I'll be notified of my decision by email but it's said that for weeks lol ?‍♀️Makes me think they might just release everything on the first (seems like maybe they did that last year??)...who knows though. I tend to err on the side of not bugging admissions staff so I don't give them more work to do but if I don't hear by feb 1 I'll give them a ring since they gave us that deadline

3 hours ago, katp said:

Nothing yet here either. The portal just says application is complete and I'll be notified of my decision by email but it's said that for weeks lol ?‍♀️Makes me think they might just release everything on the first (seems like maybe they did that last year??)...who knows though. I tend to err on the side of not bugging admissions staff so I don't give them more work to do but if I don't hear by feb 1 I'll give them a ring since they gave us that deadline

Honestly, you might be right that they release all at once? I feel like no one has posted yet with a response, unless they applied much earlier than 12/15. Although I also called on Friday (I'm impatient please don't judge), and was told my application is under review. Of course, it could still be February 1st that I hear back, but that eased some anxiety. 

3 minutes ago, Liza123 said:

Honestly, you might be right that they release all at once? I feel like no one has posted yet with a response, unless they applied much earlier than 12/15. Although I also called on Friday (I'm impatient please don't judge), and was told my application is under review. Of course, it could still be February 1st that I hear back, but that eased some anxiety. 

haha! absolutely no judgment, i'm over here refreshing my email a million times a day :) glad to hear that it's under review at least we know they're moving something!

Howdy. I’m also waiting to hear back from DU. I submitted my application by the 12/15 deadline, albeit at the last minute, so the website registers a submission date of 12/16. I called to check on my application and a very helpful admissions rep confirmed that I’m in the first round of decisions scheduled to be released on or before 2/1. Obviously I’m hoping to be admitted but I’m more anxious about the scholarship package as I’m too darn old to take on too much student loan debt! ?

Wishing you all good luck!

-Manny

On 1/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, egmartinez said:

Howdy. I’m also waiting to hear back from DU. I submitted my application by the 12/15 deadline, albeit at the last minute, so the website registers a submission date of 12/16. I called to check on my application and a very helpful admissions rep confirmed that I’m in the first round of decisions scheduled to be released on or before 2/1. Obviously I’m hoping to be admitted but I’m more anxious about the scholarship package as I’m too darn old to take on too much student loan debt! ?

Wishing you all good luck!

-Manny

Ahh that's great that they still counted you as by or before 12/15! When I called I was told my application was under review, and it's been over a week (I called on a Friday), and I'm beginning to understand the broadness of that answer. ? I also hope I get good financial aid - I know every accepted student is offered something, but how much that something is, is the question. It's taking all of my strength not to call Denver again. ? I might see if theres's a forum from last year and stalk that to see when people found out. 

22 minutes ago, Liza123 said:

Ahh that's great that they still counted you as by or before 12/15! When I called I was told my application was under review, and it's been over a week (I called on a Friday), and I'm beginning to understand the broadness of that answer. ? I also hope I get good financial aid - I know every accepted student is offered something, but how much that something is, is the question. It's taking all of my strength not to call Denver again. ? I might see if theres's a forum from last year and stalk that to see when people found out. 

Forums from previous years claim that you can see whether you were accepted — even before an email notification goes out — if there are “accept/decline” buttons at the bottom of your status page. I’m sure that’s a kink DU ironed out in subsequent admissions cycles.   

As for my submission date, I noted that the application system is on EST so my submission at 11:30 pm MST on 12/15 appears as 1:30 am 12/16 EST on their end. They quickly acknowledged it wouldn’t affect my review deadline of Feb 1. 

The waiting is definitely giving me anxiety. I’m 37 and waited over ten years to apply to an MSW program in the hopes that my professional accomplishments can overcome my crappy undergraduate record. Even if I get in — which is doubtful — I’m not sure I’m ready to take on student debt again. I’m completely debt-free and it feels so damn good. :)

7 minutes ago, egmartinez said:

Forums from previous years claim that you can see whether you were accepted — even before an email notification goes out — if there are “accept/decline” buttons at the bottom of your status page. I’m sure that’s a kink DU ironed out in subsequent admissions cycles.   

As for my submission date, I noted that the application system is on EST so my submission at 11:30 pm MST on 12/15 appears as 1:30 am 12/16 EST on their end. They quickly acknowledged it wouldn’t affect my review deadline of Feb 1. 

The waiting is definitely giving me anxiety. I’m 37 and waited over ten years to apply to an MSW program in the hopes that my professional accomplishments can overcome my crappy undergraduate record. Even if I get in — which is doubtful — I’m not sure I’m ready to take on student debt again. I’m completely debt-free and it feels so damn good. :)

high five to the 30 somethings returning to school again :D

From what i gather it seems like professional/life experience counts for a LOT while applying to msw programs (esp for those of us so far out of school) so keeping all the fingers crossed for you

Just now, katp said:

high five to the 30 somethings returning to school again :D

From what i gather it seems like professional/life experience counts for a LOT while applying to msw programs (esp for those of us so far out of school) so keeping all the fingers crossed for you

Thanks and likewise! Are you in the Denver/Colorado area? I just moved to Denver after spending the last 8 years mostly overseas with a UN agency. Turns out having a career abroad is not compatible with being married and having a spouse who had to remain in the US. 

I paid a visit to DU’s school and had an extremely positive meeting with one of their student ambassadors. It seems like the social work school has a lot of great resources—they even have a classroom set up with one-way windows so you can practice your interpersonal and clinical skills while the rest of the class watches. I’ve never seen a classroom like that before!

I submitted my application for the regular, January 15 deadline. I was getting anxious until I read this forum - hoping everyone who applied with the early deadline hears back soon! Reading all of this makes me think I will be waiting until March 1 to hear back. I applied for the duel degree program with International Development. 

16 minutes ago, egmartinez said:

Yeah, I saw that too, but nothing on my end so far. Hopefully they aren't doing that anymore. ?

I had the same thing happen to me, actually! I submitted it past midnight my time, and so I thought I'd missed the deadline for both Feb 1st hear-back, and the fee waiver. But the status page registered it as 12/15 and waived the fee as well, which like, I wasn't going to argue with. ? Only earlier did I realize it's likely because of the time zone differences. 

Congratulations on being debt free! That's amazing. Also, major props to those who go back to school in their 30s or even 40s. I have mad respect for y'all.

2 minutes ago, cnwfield said:

I submitted my application for the regular, January 15 deadline. I was getting anxious until I read this forum - hoping everyone who applied with the early deadline hears back soon! Reading all of this makes me think I will be waiting until March 1 to hear back. I applied for the duel degree program with International Development. 

Their international development program is outstanding. I’ve met several sharp Korbel grads throughout my years in the UN system in many countries.

1 hour ago, egmartinez said:

Thanks and likewise! Are you in the Denver/Colorado area? I just moved to Denver after spending the last 8 years mostly overseas with a UN agency. Turns out having a career abroad is not compatible with being married and having a spouse who had to remain in the US. 

I paid a visit to DU’s school and had an extremely positive meeting with one of their student ambassadors. It seems like the social work school has a lot of great resources—they even have a classroom set up with one-way windows so you can practice your interpersonal and clinical skills while the rest of the class watches. I’ve never seen a classroom like that before!

I'm in dc, also in int development but on the econ/policy side and looking to switch away from that and into micro. understandable about living abroad with a spouse here, that sounds so tough! but welcome back stateside :) 

it's great you got to visit campus! that classroom sounds like an amazing setup for practicing and observing but also slightly nervewracking haha. i'm hoping i'll get to visit a school or two before i decide where to go but who knows with the timing of decisions and all. are you trying to stay in the denver area?

1 hour ago, katp said:

I'm in dc, also in int development but on the econ/policy side and looking to switch away from that and into micro. understandable about living abroad with a spouse here, that sounds so tough! but welcome back stateside :) 

it's great you got to visit campus! that classroom sounds like an amazing setup for practicing and observing but also slightly nervewracking haha. i'm hoping i'll get to visit a school or two before i decide where to go but who knows with the timing of decisions and all. are you trying to stay in the denver area?

I am! I love it here - the quality of life is great. I also lived in DC for four years (in the Logan Circle area then moved to Falls Church). Can’t say I miss the DMV. :)

I have to keep reminding myself that no news is good news...the fact that no one has received an email yet OR seen anything on their status page, is actually more comforting than it happening. I have a feeling that decisions are either coming out tomorrow, or will be late...

10 minutes ago, Liza123 said:

I have to keep reminding myself that no news is good news...the fact that no one has received an email yet OR seen anything on their status page, is actually more comforting than it happening. I have a feeling that decisions are either coming out tomorrow, or will be late...

ya i'm getting super antsy over here. fingers crossed for tomorrow! or sat? you think they'd release on the weekend?

I'd agree that it definitely eases the tension when no one knows so you don't start overthinking the silence. It's been a little tortuous to watch everyone get their acceptances from schools I applied to as well when it's been radio silence on my end. 

1 hour ago, egmartinez said:

I have a feeling we are all going to wake up to emails from DU on Saturday morning. 

God I hope so. ? The anxiety is truly mentally exhausting at this point. I'm quite grateful that tomorrow I'll be at my internship from 8:30-4:30, and while I will have access to my email (and be regularly checking it because duh), I'll be kept busy. 

Now, if decisions are not released on Saturday...who's gonna be the one to call Monday? ? I feel like their office will be SLAMMED with calls if they don't release by the deadline - which to me, is fair, because if we have to follow a deadline, they should as well. (And honestly, depending on what time I get off my internship...I may call myself).

Edited by Liza123

6 hours ago, madisonc7 said:

I'd agree that it definitely eases the tension when no one knows so you don't start overthinking the silence. It's been a little tortuous to watch everyone get their acceptances from schools I applied to as well when it's been radio silence on my end. 

Oof that is rough. Hopefully the quote "No news is good news" still rings true for you in that situation. Maybe you applied later than the others? Is there a set hear-back date, like for Denver? Or if they had a large applicant pool, they might still be releasing decisions. Fingers crossed!

2 minutes ago, Liza123 said:

Oof that is rough. Hopefully the quote "No news is good news" still rings true for you in that situation. Maybe you applied later than the others? Is there a set hear-back date, like for Denver? Or if they had a large applicant pool, they might still be releasing decisions. Fingers crossed!

Feb 1st is the Denver date that they’ve been saying and promised us all. They don’t do rolling.