MSW - Berkeley

rockroad29

2 hours ago, iloveanthonyrizzo said:

Nope still nothing :(

Ahhh.. which program did you apply to? A friend called this morning and was told they are trying to to "send out everything before the end of today but applicants can also hear anytime before March 15th." She got very frustrated :(

They also mentioned releasing decisions according to the program you applied to and application type (in/out-state). 

1 hour ago, rockroad29 said:

Ahhh.. which program did you apply to? A friend called this morning and was told they are trying to to "send out everything before the end of today but applicants can also hear anytime before March 15th." She got very frustrated :(

They also mentioned releasing decisions according to the program you applied to and application type (in/out-state). 

I applied to Strengthening Youth & Families, but also applied to the Goldman School of Public Policy for a dual MSW/MPP degree. However, I figured I would receive decisions about both those schools separately.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:46 PM, iloveanthonyrizzo said:

I applied to Strengthening Youth & Families, but also applied to the Goldman School of Public Policy for a dual MSW/MPP degree. However, I figured I would receive decisions about both those schools separately.

Good choice! My friend applied to their MSW/MPH program and was informally notified about his application status about two weeks ago - he still hasn't received his official letters from either school though. It was very early. I'm pretty positive that the decisions have been made, but they are working on the detail of it. If you haven't heard anything I'd stay positive! 

Are you leaning toward coming to Berkeley if accepted or staying in the Midwest? I saw you applied to great schools! I did my undergrad in the Midwest. Loved the people but I couldn't do the weather :(

3 hours ago, rockroad29 said:

Good choice! My friend applied to their MSW/MPH program and was informally notified about his application status about two weeks ago - he still hasn't received his official letters from either school though. It was very early. I'm pretty positive that the decisions have been made, but they are working on the detail of it. If you haven't heard anything I'd stay positive! 

Are you leaning toward coming to Berkeley if accepted or staying in the Midwest? I saw you applied to great schools! I did my undergrad in the Midwest. Loved the people but I couldn't do the weather :(

I've done the weather my whole life so I'm pretty used to it, but I'd love to be in California. Michigan is looking like a great choice for me, though, so if Berkeley doesn't pan out, I'm very happy with my midwest options. Also, CA is insanely expensive so either way it's kind of a long shot. 

For those accepted, did you get any information on financial aid? I got an email saying I didn’t get any departmental fellowships. Does this mean I won’t get anything from FAFSA? This will be my first time taking out loans for school so I’m not really clear on the process. Any input is appreciated! 

2 hours ago, lattes&equality said:

For those accepted, did you get any information on financial aid? I got an email saying I didn’t get any departmental fellowships. Does this mean I won’t get anything from FAFSA? This will be my first time taking out loans for school so I’m not really clear on the process. Any input is appreciated! 

Hi hi! Not accepted into Berkeley but I've definitely taken out loans before. You MAY definitely still get things from FAFSA, the only part with the departmental fellowship means that Berkeley itself isn't going to give you any money. FAFSA is a different story though. I don't even know my FAFSA info for BC yet and I was accepted last month, so we'll see. Usually that info doesn't get released until March-ish.

For taking out loans, FAFSA will offer you a certain amount of UNSUBSIDIZED student loans (since you're a grad student) and perhaps a Pell Grant depending on your EFC (expected family contribution). If I were you, I'd give Berkeley a call to see when your FAFSA info will be released to you. :)

3 hours ago, ayshaface said:

Hi hi! Not accepted into Berkeley but I've definitely taken out loans before. You MAY definitely still get things from FAFSA, the only part with the departmental fellowship means that Berkeley itself isn't going to give you any money. FAFSA is a different story though. I don't even know my FAFSA info for BC yet and I was accepted last month, so we'll see. Usually that info doesn't get released until March-ish.

For taking out loans, FAFSA will offer you a certain amount of UNSUBSIDIZED student loans (since you're a grad student) and perhaps a Pell Grant depending on your EFC (expected family contribution). If I were you, I'd give Berkeley a call to see when your FAFSA info will be released to you. :)

Wow, so helpful :) Thank you for explaining that to me! I will call Berkeley and see what information they can give me. Berkeley is my dream school but now I'm coming back down to earth and thinking about the financial component. Congrats on your acceptance to BC! Have you committed or are you waiting to hear back from other schools?

Edited by lattes&equality

On 2/24/2020 at 8:34 PM, lattes&equality said:

Wow, so helpful :) Thank you for explaining that to me! I will call Berkeley and see what information they can give me. Berkeley is my dream school but now I'm coming back down to earth and thinking about the financial component. Congrats on your acceptance to BC! Have you committed or are you waiting to hear back from other schools?

Absolutely, finances have to play a huge role when we're going into a field with no money lol. I have committed, but I am still waiting to hear back, mainly from Chico and University of Washington. Chico is more financially reasonable but I'd rather go to a better school if I don't have to take out TOO much for loans. :) 

• 1 month later...

I hope everyone is hanging in there during this time! I have committed to UC Berkeley MSW- SCYF and am wondering if anyone has heard from their field advisor? On the New Admit page it says we should be contacted in "early April" ...I feel like that should have been by now. I will email next week and see if I can get more information. I have interviewed at a possible internship site in Oakland but would like an advisor's input/direction for sure before accepting. I'm also curious if they will reschedule some sort of virtual reception for new admits as was originally communicated. Anyways, just throwing my thoughts out there! I'd love to chat with any fellow incoming students about the process, housing, coffee shops, internships, etc!!!

Hello! I’m also committed to Cal’s MSW program starting in Fall 2020.  I was wondering the same thing regarding the field advisors and when we can expect to be contacted regarding our fieldwork placement for Fall.  From what I understand, our field advisors set up our interviews for us. 

On 4/12/2020 at 3:35 PM, LBDubb said:

Hello! I’m also committed to Cal’s MSW program starting in Fall 2020.  I was wondering the same thing regarding the field advisors and when we can expect to be contacted regarding our fieldwork placement for Fall.  From what I understand, our field advisors set up our interviews for us. 

I said this on the larger MSW thread, but thought I'd post here, too: I also have not heard from my Field Consultant.  Like @lattes&equality I understand that there's a lot going on right now because of the pandemic, and still I would appreciate more communication from the school.

@lattes&equalityWhat questions do you have about housing?  (As a Bay native and Berk undergrad, I have a lot of info.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 10:44 PM, Mindfu1ness said:

I said this on the larger MSW thread, but thought I'd post here, too: I also have not heard from my Field Consultant.  Like @lattes&equality I understand that there's a lot going on right now because of the pandemic, and still I would appreciate more communication from the school.

@lattes&equalityWhat questions do you have about housing?  (As a Bay native and Berk undergrad, I have a lot of info.)

Just in case you haven't seen it already, they updated the newly admitted MSW page to say "early May" for communication with our field advisor. More waiting! But that's life right now. 

Oh cool, thanks! I'm debating between paying more for rent and living closer to campus with no car vs. having a car and commuting from an area where rent is cheaper. I guess I don't really have a specific question but wondering your thoughts on that. On one hand, I want the Berkeley experience of living close to campus but on the other hand I'm worried about finances. Also, obviously I'm not sure where my internship will be but I hope I'd be able to take BART around regardless. 

On 4/24/2020 at 4:56 PM, lattes&equality said:

Just in case you haven't seen it already, they updated the newly admitted MSW page to say "early May" for communication with our field advisor. More waiting! But that's life right now. 

Oh cool, thanks! I'm debating between paying more for rent and living closer to campus with no car vs. having a car and commuting from an area where rent is cheaper. I guess I don't really have a specific question but wondering your thoughts on that. On one hand, I want the Berkeley experience of living close to campus but on the other hand I'm worried about finances. Also, obviously I'm not sure where my internship will be but I hope I'd be able to take BART around regardless. 

At this point, I don't know if we'll be having an internship.  From reading posts on Berkeley's website, it sounds like they're getting ready to be 100% online this fall and maybe spring semester, too. 

If you live close to a Bart stop or AC Transit bus stop, it'd be OK not to live near campus -- but I don't think Oakland is much cheaper than Berkeley anymore.  For cheaper rent, you could go north to Richmond, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I love Berkeley - the college-town feel, and it's beautiful!  But I hear you re: financial concerns.  West Berkeley tends to be cheaper than Southside or Northside followed by parts of Oakland, but Oakland is quite large and has some isolated areas that you might want not to live in because they're transit deserts.

1 hour ago, Mindfu1ness said:

At this point, I don't know if we'll be having an internship.  From reading posts on Berkeley's website, it sounds like they're getting ready to be 100% online this fall and maybe spring semester, too. 

If you live close to a Bart stop or AC Transit bus stop, it'd be OK not to live near campus -- but I don't think Oakland is much cheaper than Berkeley anymore.  For cheaper rent, you could go north to Richmond, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I love Berkeley - the college-town feel, and it's beautiful!  But I hear you re: financial concerns.  West Berkeley tends to be cheaper than Southside or Northside followed by parts of Oakland, but Oakland is quite large and has some isolated areas that you might want not to live in because they're transit deserts.

Yeah, you’re right about possibly not having an internship. I’m really curious as to how that will play out. I hope there is a possibility for virtual internships at least. Sounds dreadful but I’d prefer that to nothing at all. I work for a nonprofit providing mental health services to children and youth and we’ve moved towards telehealth during this time. So I think for some placements it would be an option potentially. 

Thanks for sharing! Not even sure if it’s worth it to move there at all during this whole thing if everything will be virtual anyways. I thought waiting for decisions to come back was the worst waiting game but I was wrong...this is. 

On 4/27/2020 at 8:19 PM, lattes&equality said:

Yeah, you’re right about possibly not having an internship. I’m really curious as to how that will play out. I hope there is a possibility for virtual internships at least. Sounds dreadful but I’d prefer that to nothing at all. I work for a nonprofit providing mental health services to children and youth and we’ve moved towards telehealth during this time. So I think for some placements it would be an option potentially. 

Thanks for sharing! Not even sure if it’s worth it to move there at all during this whole thing if everything will be virtual anyways. I thought waiting for decisions to come back was the worst waiting game but I was wrong...this is. 

Hi, Berkeley posted this a few days ago, so it looks like its not 100% decided yet what the fall will look like:

As announced in a message to campus, UC Berkeley is in the midst of planning for multiple scenarios for the fall semester. This section will be updated as this work evolves over the coming days and weeks.

A single principle guides all of this work: to protect the health of our community.

Because we don’t know what the spread of COVID-19 will look like over the course of the next few months, each committee below has been asked to develop plans for each of the following three scenarios for the fall semester:

• Scenario #1: For public health reasons, the campus must continue with full remote instruction, and predominantly remote work being done in the operations and research realms.

• Scenario #2: In-person operations resume, with limits and restrictions imposed by public health authorities.

• Scenario #3: Campus operations largely return to normal (i.e., mostly in-person), but wherever possible, will accommodate students, staff, researchers and instructors who need or prefer to operate remotely due to continuing pandemic conditions.

4 hours ago, Mindfu1ness said:

@lattes&equality Has anyone heard from their Field Consultant yet?  Berkeley revised their timeline to early May, but still I haven't been contacted...

I still haven’t been contacted either. I also haven’t had any response to my email and voicemail. 

21 hours ago, lattes&equality said:

I still haven’t been contacted either. I also haven’t had any response to my email and voicemail. 

I receive almost daily emails from private schools whose admission offers I declined, about everything from housing to enrolling in classes.  Berkeley's lack of communication irks me!

On 5/12/2020 at 5:09 PM, Mindfu1ness said:

I receive almost daily emails from private schools whose admission offers I declined, about everything from housing to enrolling in classes.  Berkeley's lack of communication irks me!

Same. Also it’s passed “early May” -irked as well. I did get my financial aid package yesterday though. I was hoping for something...anything but I just got loans. 

6 minutes ago, lattes&equality said:

Same. Also it’s passed “early May” -irked as well. I did get my financial aid package yesterday though. I was hoping for something...anything but I just got loans. 

Same, only loans.  I don't think it's fair to charge full tuition and fees if classes will be online _and_ we don't get a field placement.  I hope UC students rally together to demand reduced tuition or allow students to start next year instead.  Private schools appear to be doing whatever necessary to reopen campuses this fall, but not public schools.  CSU's announcement yesterday that all classes would be online seemed very premature, since counties across CA are starting to open up and could be fully open by the fall.  

• 1 month later...