How to decide which program?

KeithR

I've applied to two programs, and assuming I am accepted to both, the question becomes how do I decide which one?

It's not an issue of cost -- both are about the same. Both have synchronous components to their courses, which I am looking for. Alabama has less required courses, giving me more freedom for electives in my specialization (Youth Services/School Media), but I don't necessarily love all the electives they have. Mizzou has more required courses, but I like all of the electives. So then I researched professors. With Missouri, I got a good vibe from a professor just through a few emails. With Alabama, some of my questions were answered from the program director, but then she CCed in another professor to answer the rest, and he never responded to them (it's been two weeks). 

Both programs are ALA-accredited. I have tried to find student opinions on either program, and there isn't much out there. Ratemyprofessors.com doesn't tell me much either. I wish I could have one contact from each to find out what the classes are really like, what kinds of assignments there are, what kind of support there is, etc. 

The only real difference is that Alabama requires me to make a trip to campus for a two-day orientation. Missouri does not. I don't mind the trip, though Alabama in August does not sound appealing. 

What's a boy to do?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi if you're still looking for advice, here's some from a soon-to-be MLIS graduate:

Have you tried emailing the second professor at Alabama? January is super busy for professors, and it's not uncommon for emails to get lost in the shuffle. Just a quick ping of "hey just wanted to check in" kind of thing usually works.

As someone in this area of study (youth services is my jam), I will tell you that I've heard more about Alabama. The 2018-2019 president of ALSC is a faculty member there, for example. I don't know that I've ever heard anything about Missouri other than that it exists. My school also has a mandatory campus visit weekend for online students, and a number of the ones I've spoken to said that it was one of their favorite parts of the program.

My other two suggestions would be a) looking into student organizations at the school (particularly ALA chapters as they're usually fairly active) and seeing if they have any sort of contact information so you could reach out to a current student, and b) email an advisor (they're usually the ones who know what's up) and ask if there's a possibility you could be connected with a current student to learn more about the program. My school, for example, has a student ambassador program for reasons like this.

Hope this helps!

On 2/8/2020 at 5:35 AM, ravenclawace said:

Hi if you're still looking for advice, here's some from a soon-to-be MLIS graduate:

Have you tried emailing the second professor at Alabama? January is super busy for professors, and it's not uncommon for emails to get lost in the shuffle. Just a quick ping of "hey just wanted to check in" kind of thing usually works.

As someone in this area of study (youth services is my jam), I will tell you that I've heard more about Alabama. The 2018-2019 president of ALSC is a faculty member there, for example. I don't know that I've ever heard anything about Missouri other than that it exists. My school also has a mandatory campus visit weekend for online students, and a number of the ones I've spoken to said that it was one of their favorite parts of the program.

My other two suggestions would be a) looking into student organizations at the school (particularly ALA chapters as they're usually fairly active) and seeing if they have any sort of contact information so you could reach out to a current student, and b) email an advisor (they're usually the ones who know what's up) and ask if there's a possibility you could be connected with a current student to learn more about the program. My school, for example, has a student ambassador program for reasons like this.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for this helpful advice. I was accepted to both programs! And, I did hear back from the previously-mentioned professor and enjoyed that correspondance. Still haven't made my decision yet -- I waffle back and forth between the two every.single.day. But more and more I am liking the idea of the campus orientation at Alabama.

Edited by KeithR