UX/HCI Fall 2020 Applicants

timefortea

On 3/14/2020 at 5:54 PM, ashhhh said:

Congrats to the ones admitted to MHCID! I got accepted to UW HCDE as well. But am struggling between HCDE and CMU MIIPS haha

Congrats! In terms of choosing between MIIPS and HCDE, it really depends on what your goal is and what you value. I would say the key differences are curriculum and location (assuming your MIIPS admit is the extended one cuz the internship opportunity will then be the same for these two, otherwise time is another factor to consider). MIIPS will involve more industrial design and business classes, while HCDE focuses more on research and design. If you are to search for internship or land a job after graduation, Seattle’s location is definitely better (and for location you’re also choosing a life style). There are other things like cohort quality, HCDE’s night classes, CMU’s name etc. but they’re not as critical as curriculum and location IMO. Oh I forgot financial cost, idk the tuition for MIIPS but I guess it’s more expensive than HCDE. 

50 minutes ago, Ascender said:

Congrats! In terms of choosing between MIIPS and HCDE, it really depends on what your goal is and what you value. I would say the key differences are curriculum and location (assuming your MIIPS admit is the extended one cuz the internship opportunity will then be the same for these two, otherwise time is another factor to consider). MIIPS will involve more industrial design and business classes, while HCDE focuses more on research and design. If you are to search for internship or land a job after graduation, Seattle’s location is definitely better (and for location you’re also choosing a life style). There are other things like cohort quality, HCDE’s night classes, CMU’s name etc. but they’re not as critical as curriculum and location IMO. Oh I forgot financial cost, idk the tuition for MIIPS but I guess it’s more expensive than HCDE. 

I'm also looking into CMU MIIPS...I'm coming from more of a business background and want to ultimately continue in Product Design, so I think the combo of MBA + engineering classes will push it over the edge for me.... Waiting to hear back from UPenn's M:IPD program still! Anybody else apply there?

On 3/19/2020 at 8:55 PM, ChookityPok said:

I called them and apparently they're sending out results in batches, I am waiting as well. :) all the best. 

Thank you for sharing the info :), Still waiting for them. Any good update for you? 

On 3/16/2020 at 11:17 PM, Ascender said:

Thanks for your kind advice @Ascender

On 3/17/2020 at 12:09 AM, kcux2020 said:

I'm also looking into CMU MIIPS...I'm coming from more of a business background and want to ultimately continue in Product Design, so I think the combo of MBA + engineering classes will push it over the edge for me.... Waiting to hear back from UPenn's M:IPD program still! Anybody else apply there?

That's what I'm considering as well. I'm also from a marketing-business background. So the decision between HCDE and MIIPS is a bit like a choice between two paths.  I'm curious about whether you plan to accept MIIPS' offer tho. @kcux2020

10 hours ago, ashhhh said:

Thanks for your kind advice @Ascender

That's what I'm considering as well. I'm also from a marketing-business background. So the decision between HCDE and MIIPS is a bit like a choice between two paths.  I'm curious about whether you plan to accept MIIPS' offer tho. @kcux2020

@ashhhh I think my last 2 choices right now are MIIPS or UPenn IPD (still waiting to hear back). I have declined NYU's ITP and IDM programs, and decided not to apply to HCDE. I think for me, I wanted less of a pure art and coding experience and wanted to lean toward something more holistic. I looked at the alumni coming out of MIIPS and was really impressed, and most of the career paths were jobs I would want to take after graduation (product designer, design engineer, UX designer). So basically, just waiting on UPenn and then I decide (but their IPD program is pretty similar to MIIPS).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...