UX/HCI Fall 2020 Applicants

timefortea

• 2 weeks later...

Me!! Have you heard anything from UW? I applied to the HCDE and MHCI+D program and haven't heard anything from them yet. They did come to see my portfolio website though. I am having an interview with CMU MHCI next week. So nervous!

Edited by Joo

22 hours ago, Joo said:

Me!! Have you heard anything from UW? I applied to the HCDE and MHCI+D program and haven't heard anything from them yet. They did come to see my portfolio website though. I am having an interview with CMU MHCI next week. So nervous!

I'm exactly in the same boat as you, with both UW programs and MHCI interview scheduled this week! Best of luck on us both!!

I applied to UW MHCI+D and HCDE, and CMU MHCI. Haven't heard from any of the programs yet. One of my colleagues who also applied to CMU MHCI received a request for interview which I didn't. This is making me quite nervous ?

On 2/9/2020 at 6:52 PM, Joo said:

I don’t think UW has interview for either? As far as I know the decisions won’t be out until March 15-ish. I have done the interview for CMU, feel free to ask me anything you want to know. Best of luck!

16 minutes ago, Ascender said:

I don’t think UW has interview for either? As far as I know the decisions won’t be out until March 15-ish. I have done the interview for CMU, feel free to ask me anything you want to know. Best of luck!

Was it like a casual interview? I heard that an alumna is assigned to interview the candidate. Have you applied to other programs such as GT or UM? Wish you the best too!

16 minutes ago, Ascender said:

Any idea if CMU conducts interview for all applicants? As I haven't received any email from CMU yet, regarding the interview, does this mean my application was rejected?

9 hours ago, Joo said:

Was it like a casual interview? I heard that an alumna is assigned to interview the candidate. Have you applied to other programs such as GT or UM? Wish you the best too!

I would say it is not as casual as a language interview where you basically just chatting/having daily conversations with interviewers. For the CMU one my interviewer told me he had a set of standard questions that he was required to ask, which (according to my fuzzy memory) are about your understanding of the program, reasons for applying, your experience and goal, and the ways you work etc. Beyond these questions, how casual it is will largely depend on the interviewer. Some are more easygoing and prefer the form of conversation, some are more rigid and take a standard Q&A. Another thing is that the interviewer won’t have your application, so have a short and sweet self-intro is important. Hope it helps!

Yes I’ve also applied to GT and two UW programs.

9 hours ago, UXGuy said:

Any idea if CMU conducts interview for all applicants? As I haven't received any email from CMU yet, regarding the interview, does this mean my application was rejected?

According to my research, there are people who were admitted without interviews, and some even said the interviews are randomly assigned. I am not sure about the necessary connection between interview and admission, but it is surely not a dead end if you do not receive interview invitation. I would say relax!

2 hours ago, Ascender said:

I would say it is not as casual as a language interview where you basically just chatting/having daily conversations with interviewers. For the CMU one my interviewer told me he had a set of standard questions that he was required to ask, which (according to my fuzzy memory) are about your understanding of the program, reasons for applying, your experience and goal, and the ways you work etc. Beyond these questions, how casual it is will largely depend on the interviewer. Some are more easygoing and prefer the form of conversation, some are more rigid and take a standard Q&A. Another thing is that the interviewer won’t have your application, so have a short and sweet self-intro is important. Hope it helps!

Thank you for the kind reply! It is really helpful. I hope you the best. :) 

Edited by Joo

On 2/11/2020 at 8:38 AM, Ascender said:

This is extremely helpful! Thank you & wish you all the best!

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Erinnn said:

Hi! I applied to UM MSI program and UW HCDE. Background in psychology with 4 years experience working in HCI. Wondering if anyone has any updates on their applications? Waiting it out!

I have applied to UW HCDE as well. Based on last year's admission decisions, UW posts the results around March 13-16th. Best of luck!

HI ! Ive applied to MHCID at UW , Pratt , SJSU , CCA and Northeastern.

So far ive recieved acceptances from PRatt and Northeastern and gave an interview for CCA. Waiting for their replies! What colleges are you guys interested in ? 

Im an international student btw with an architecture background. 

Edited by NikkiD

45 minutes ago, tengograd said:

just got into UW MHCID am currently shook. No interview, neuroscience major and psychology minor, 3.5 GPA, California student

Congrats! I wonder how they're sending them out. Hopefully it isn't just acceptances first. Haven't received any emails and my status still says Submitted.

2 hours ago, kgradHCI said:

Congrats! I wonder how they're sending them out. Hopefully it isn't just acceptances first. Haven't received any emails and my status still says Submitted.

thanks so much, still waiting on UW HCDE & sjsu as well, hoping it won't be too long of a wait, I wasn't checking my email every hour and now I am ?

4 hours ago, kgradHCI said:

thanks so much, still waiting on UW HCDE & sjsu as well, hoping it won't be too long of a wait, I wasn't checking my email every hour and now I am ?

2 hours ago, tengograd said:

well just got the rejection from HCDE, we-

11 hours ago, tengograd said:

just got into UW MHCID am currently shook. No interview, neuroscience major and psychology minor, 3.5 GPA, California student

Congrats!! I got an admit from the UW HCDE program and got waitlisted in the MHCI+D program :)

Congrats to everyone that has heard back so far. I have been creeping on this thread for a while (lol) but have not posted yet. I got an admit from the UW HCDE program too!

Edited by ibsby98