Does prof normally respond to your email?

StressedOutUser

Hi,

I reallllllllllly need some advice.

I have applied for university of Washington. Before applying I emailed one of my POI, he/she responded and asked me to apply because it's up to university to decide which applicant or eligible for phd program. I've applied and then I emailed all my POI 2 more time in the past 1.5 month. but no respond. 

I'm freaking out, Is that a really bad sign? has anyone been accepted with the same situation before? what are my chances 

I am not from first tier university but like top 70, my gre verbal is lower than average but my Quant was close to full mark... I have more than 2 year of research and work experience in my area of interest 

I emailed 3 professors during the admissions cycle and none of them responded. I got into one of the schools to which I sent the email, rejected from another one, and am still waiting for the third. I think I read somewhere that it doesn't really matter if you reach out to professors beforehand, especially nowadays where seemingly everyone is sending out these sort of emails. Out of fairness, what you write in your email does not reflect what is reviewed during the committee evaluation process. Of course there is the situation where you are lucky and your technical background matches exactly what that professor is looking for. Then he/she may be able to put in a good word for you during the application review process. Even then, I doubt it would overcome significant deficiencies in your profile. 

My suggestion is that if the professor hasn't responded for those two emails, then just let it be and wait for your decision. I don't think it's good to look too needy. Best of luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is very hard to get an sort of engagement from the professor for an unknown applicant, they receive hundreds every time (the only exception is newly appointed ones from my experience)

I would say consider visiting the school of visit day, and if you got accepted visit the school and try to reach out to the professor or go to their office etc.