New UPenn Fels Program

ludile_gia

Hi all,

As some of you may know the UPenn Fels program received a complete makeover during the past two years and began admitting new students for fall 2020 after a hiatus last year. I am really looking for those with knowledge to provide insight on how the program has changed and information on how the program is looked upon in the MPA/MPP community. There seems to be very little information about the new program and previous quality insights are from old posts in 2012/2013.

Thanks in ahead.

Edited by ludile_gia

I know the program went from a two year program to a one year and a summer program. I was really interested in the Fels MPA until they changed the program and took away the dual degrees ? 

I am not sure how how it’s viewed in the MPP/MPA world, but I would imagine that they have a really strong regional network and a solid national network. 

Got my acceptance a week or so ago. It has a pretty strong local government bent, which gives it a strong regional network. Much like the Brown program, I think it gets much higher praise from people within the profession than US News.

Based on what I've read the shakeup was because the school wants to make an effort to raise their US News type rankings. 

The website and info available definitely needs to be stepped up you're right

4 hours ago, SketchesOfSpain said:

Got my acceptance a week or so ago. It has a pretty strong local government bent, which gives it a strong regional network. Much like the Brown program, I think it gets much higher praise from people within the profession than US News.

Based on what I've read the shakeup was because the school wants to make an effort to raise their US News type rankings. 

The website and info available definitely needs to be stepped up you're right

Congrats! I just got my acceptance last week too which is why I was determined to find out more about the program. I received a personal email from one of the profs (seems like a generic email though) and replied back asking about the class size and curriculum. Given there was no admission last year I don't even know if there would be current students to talk to about the program...

Edited by ludile_gia

4 minutes ago, ludile_gia said:

Congrats! I just got my acceptance last week too which is why I was determined to find out more about the program. I received a personal email from one of the profs (seems like a generic email though) and replied back asking about the class size and curriculum. Given there was no admission as year I don't even know if there would be current students to talk to about the program...

Congrats to you as well, being a one year program definitely makes it more affordable, but also doesn't offer much in terms of flexibility.

Here is the list of courses if you haven't seen it, there is room for two electives, which I assume don't have to be at Fels https://www.fels.upenn.edu/academics/mpa/courses

There should still be current students available to talk to as it was a two year program, they just won't be on campus by the time the incoming class gets there

1 hour ago, SketchesOfSpain said:

Congrats to you as well, being a one year program definitely makes it more affordable, but also doesn't offer much in terms of flexibility.

Here is the list of courses if you haven't seen it, there is room for two electives, which I assume don't have to be at Fels https://www.fels.upenn.edu/academics/mpa/courses

There should still be current students available to talk to as it was a two year program, they just won't be on campus by the time the incoming class gets there

Thanks for the link. I have indeed seen the course list and did write to ask if it will remain largely the same for Fall 2020 admits. Still waiting on a reply. 

I'm currently in the Philly area (working, not at Fels), and there's still strong name recognition with Fels. My experience is that most people still respect the program, and they only have a surface awareness that it had some problems a year or two ago. 

I have seen some really strong student reactions against the program, but that's based on the same info you already have (1 yr vs 2, fewer opportunities to take electives). I think you can still do a dual degree with SP2 (School of Social Policy and Practice I think) - there program is great if you're into social policy.

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, Nickel95 said:

I got a small scholarship of $5,000 but I'm hoping more funding will become available after April 15

Is there a history of that being the case? I got $10,000 and a $5000 por the summer to cover the cost of the internship. But even then I got better offers elsewhere. 

Just now, Skipper18542 said:

Is there a history of that being the case? I got $10,000 and a $5000 por the summer to cover the cost of the internship. But even then I got better offers elsewhere. 

I'm not sure! Other schools have told me that funding may become available when other students deny acceptances. I also got $5,000 for the summer

2 minutes ago, Nickel95 said:

I'm not sure! Other schools have told me that funding may become available when other students deny acceptances. I also got $5,000 for the summer

Well it makes sense. Since I’ll likely turn them down the $15,000 total they are offering me will likely go to another student. So I assume if more people do that that will leave a few tens of thousands on the table for other people.