Looking for Post-Bacc Research Position

Zhili YY

Hi everyone. I'm graduating in May and taking gap years before applying to grad school. I've been looking for full time research position, and applied a few. None of them got back to me and won't reply to follow up emails neither. While i say I completely understand, but I'm also panicking. If any of you have got a position or also looking for positions, would you mind share your experiences? Like when did you get the positions and how was your application process? I'm checking the harvard and duke post graduation job board, indeed, linkedin, and some universities/hospitals; career sites on daily bases, but if there is any other website or forums that are useful please let me know!

Thanks!!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you tried reaching out to PIs directly and inquiring about openings? That's how I landed my current post-bacc research position. I think that sometimes those jobs are posted as a formality after the PI has already found someone to fill the position, so you might not have the best luck if you're only looking on job boards.

Unfortunately sometimes it can take lot of persistence. It took me nearly 6 months of applications to land my lab manager job, but it was so worth it. Consider looking for other jobs that you can use to pay the bills post grad while you keep looking.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 1:43 PM, CaryHall said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you tried reaching out to PIs directly and inquiring about openings? That's how I landed my current post-bacc research position. I think that sometimes those jobs are posted as a formality after the PI has already found someone to fill the position, so you might not have the best luck if you're only looking on job boards.

I actually have not and that's something I should definitely start doing. Thank you for the advice!

On 2/11/2020 at 10:12 PM, Modulus said:

Unfortunately sometimes it can take lot of persistence. It took me nearly 6 months of applications to land my lab manager job, but it was so worth it. Consider looking for other jobs that you can use to pay the bills post grad while you keep looking.

I'm glad you found the job at the end! Part of the reason I'm panicking is because I'm an international student, so I have to leave the country if I can't find a job that's related to my major. But I will keep looking! 

• 1 month later...