I applied to 5 UP Phd programs -- USC, UBC, UCLA, UPenn, and MIT.

Awaiting info from UCLA and getting really nervous! Has anyone heard from them at all? I've only seen one waitlist and someone had posted that all admissions have been notified... maybe i should just assume it's a rejection?

Ahh! Hope everyone hears some positive news in the coming weeks.

Edited by jlc816

1 hour ago, ventiicedamericano said:

Hi, I applied for UCB UCLA USC UCDavis PDX Rutgers Georgia Tech

I heard back from USC and UC Davis, but haven't heard back from UCB and UCLA. Seeing that a couple of results came out from those schools, I guess its an implicit rejection. LOL

Glad that I have to options at this point.

will you be heading to the admit day at USC next week?

I am assuming the same for UCLA, although so far only seeing a waitlist so... i'm holding out hope... (I've been wavering between feeling dejected and hopeful this weekend, lol, since UCLA is my top choice!)

On 2/15/2020 at 7:37 AM, jlc816 said:

I applied to 5 UP Phd programs -- USC, UBC, UCLA, UPenn, and MIT.

Awaiting info from UCLA and getting really nervous! Has anyone heard from them at all? I've only seen one waitlist and someone had posted that all admissions have been notified... maybe i should just assume it's a rejection?

Ahh! Hope everyone hears some positive news in the coming weeks.

Do you know if MIT does interviews?

On 2/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, ventiicedamericano said:

Yes I will be there at USC next week. How about you? Would I see you from there? haha

@ventiicedamericano yep i'll be there

46 minutes ago, apps20mesh said:

Do you know if MIT does interviews?

@apps20mesh i read they don't do interviews. but I've heard they met a few weeks ago to narrow down the applicant pool already.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:42 PM, ventiicedamericano said:

Hi, I applied for UCB UCLA USC UCDavis PDX Rutgers Georgia Tech

I heard back from USC and UC Davis, but haven't heard back from UCB and UCLA. Seeing that a couple of results came out from those schools, I guess its an implicit rejection. LOL

Glad that I have to options at this point.

Do you know anything about what the Rutgers program is like? I'm curious since it's one of the few non-west coast schools on your list. I applied and haven't heard back yet but wondering what it's general reputation is. Thanks!

Edited by lispenard

9 hours ago, lispenard said:

Do you know anything about what the Rutgers program is like? I'm curious since it's one of the few non-west coast schools on your list. I applied and haven't heard back yet but wondering what it's general reputation is. Thanks!

Hi, Actually, I got my masters from Rutgers. I don't know if you interested in the master program or the PhD, but for the Masters, they have really great program. Like you mentioned, being one of a couple schools located in the East coast, it has geographical advantages and our alums are doing great. For the PhD, it is a good school too. We have excellent faculty members, great researches. 

I heard back from Rutgers yesterday, and got into their program. So now, I don't know what to do haha

2 hours ago, ventiicedamericano said:

Hi, Actually, I got my masters from Rutgers. I don't know if you interested in the master program or the PhD, but for the Masters, they have really great program. Like you mentioned, being one of a couple schools located in the East coast, it has geographical advantages and our alums are doing great. For the PhD, it is a good school too. We have excellent faculty members, great researches. 

I heard back from Rutgers yesterday, and got into their program. So now, I don't know what to do haha

Thanks for responding! I meant to mention that it was for the Planning/Policy PhD program at Rutgers Bloustein (not sure what the diff is)-- did you get into the same?

4 hours ago, apps20mesh said:

ah ok, thank you - do you know if they would've contacted the narrowed down or rejected pool?

Not sure, but don't think so.

UCLA has already sent out all their acceptances last week :( 

2 hours ago, ventiicedamericano said:

I got rejection from Berkeley yesterday and still haven't heard back from UCLA. I know one person who got waitlisted from UCLA yesterday, so it means rejection i guess lol

How about you?

I wanted to stay in the NYC-area so only applied to schools nearby. I haven't heard back from Columbia or The New School. I'm assuming that means no to Columbia. For TNS, they said to expect to hear from them "in the next few months and at the latest" in May! Not great for their yield I would imagine?

3 hours ago, ventiicedamericano said:

I got rejection from Berkeley yesterday and still haven't heard back from UCLA. I know one person who got waitlisted from UCLA yesterday, so it means rejection i guess lol

How about you?

Sorry to hear about Berkeley! :( I was waitlisted at UCLA. 

6 hours ago, lispenard said:

I wanted to stay in the NYC-area so only applied to schools nearby. I haven't heard back from Columbia or The New School. I'm assuming that means no to Columbia. For TNS, they said to expect to hear from them "in the next few months and at the latest" in May! Not great for their yield I would imagine?

Haha I hope you hear back from them soon. Fingers crossed! In the meanwhile, will you be there at Rutgers admitted students' day?

4 hours ago, jlc816 said:

Sorry to hear about Berkeley! :( I was waitlisted at UCLA. 

Haha I'm okay with it. When I was preparing, I didn't really know what to write for the personal statement, so I just wrote like 150 words for both UCB and UCLA. I'm not saying that I got rejected because of that, but just saying that I knew what was coming. LOL

May I ask what's your research interest? I'll see you on next Monday though!

On 2/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, ventiicedamericano said:

Haha I hope you hear back from them soon. Fingers crossed! In the meanwhile, will you be there at Rutgers admitted students' day?

Yes, you? I guess if you're already at school there 

Enjoy USC! The weather should be a pretty big draw 

On 2/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, ventiicedamericano said:

Haha I'm okay with it. When I was preparing, I didn't really know what to write for the personal statement, so I just wrote like 150 words for both UCB and UCLA. I'm not saying that I got rejected because of that, but just saying that I knew what was coming. LOL

May I ask what's your research interest? I'll see you on next Monday though!

I'm looking at queerness/informal economies/urban planning -- specifically at labor organizing. How about you?