does the # of students accepted from a particular university matter to graduate programs?

hello! this might be a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone knows how closely admissions committees look at how many students from a particular undergraduate school they are accepting? For instance, if they already have four students from a certain school that they want to accept, will they not accept any more coming from that school because it is too many people coming over from the same program? Or do they not really consider the undergraduate university too much? thanks in advance! 

I know that most schools prefer students form their own institution. But I also know of some schools that don't typically accept students from certain schools. One of the universities near me do not usually accept students from my school but it really does depend on the place. I feel that diversity is a part of it and they would like to take students from all over. However, if you stand out, where you're from should not be too much of an issue.

1 hour ago, zach2sawc said:

I know that most schools prefer students form their own institution. But I also know of some schools that don't typically accept students from certain schools. One of the universities near me do not usually accept students from my school but it really does depend on the place. I feel that diversity is a part of it and they would like to take students from all over. However, if you stand out, where you're from should not be too much of an issue.

I've spoken to many colleges about this myth that they favor their own students and can tell you right now that they don't. The reason that it appears that they favor their own undergraduate students is because their undergraduate students have taken all of the courses that they need to in order to be up to speed with their graduate level classes. This is why some graduate programs expect you to have taken Aural Rehabilitation but some undergraduate programs still do not make it a requirement. They take so many students from their undergraduate program because they are the most prepared.

My counselor told my friends and I that students from San Diego State University don't get into Boulder and that it wasn't worth applying to. Out of 3 students the 2 that did apply both got in. Don't worry about what other people tell you about a school. If you like the program, apply and keep your fingers crossed. 

8 minutes ago, MadisonMachelle said:

I've spoken to many colleges about this myth that they favor their own students and can tell you right now that they don't. The reason that it appears that they favor their own undergraduate students is because their undergraduate students have taken all of the courses that they need to in order to be up to speed with their graduate level classes. This is why some graduate programs expect you to have taken Aural Rehabilitation but some undergraduate programs still do not make it a requirement. They take so many students from their undergraduate program because they are the most prepared.

My counselor told my friends and I that students from San Diego State University don't get into Boulder and that it wasn't worth applying to. Out of 3 students the 2 that did apply both got in. Don't worry about what other people tell you about a school. If you like the program, apply and keep your fingers crossed. 

That makes sense! I know that one of my professors said that SIUE prefers to look at their own students first but it probably is because of requirements & preparation. Also congrats to your friends on Boulder! It is a fantastic university and I hope to get in as well! :)

5 minutes ago, zach2sawc said:

That makes sense! I know that one of my professors said that SIUE prefers to look at their own students first but it probably is because of requirements & preparation. Also congrats to your friends on Boulder! It is a fantastic university and I hope to get in as well! :)

I hope so too haha! That was last year so fingers crossed right!!