Accreditation on probation

Psydgirl2020

Hey guys I’m hoping for some guidance. I am choosing between two programs and the one I thought I really wanted to go to I just found out recently got off of accreditation on probation status. This year they will have a site visit to ensure they are able to continue to be accredited. I was assured they will have no issues but it still scares me. The other program has a solid accreditation status. Thoughts??

8 minutes ago, Itzik said:

It’s only natural that every program has to go through that. Top programs or low tier programs. I wouldn’t worry. How long has the program had accreditation or when did it for get accredited?

Initial accredit is from the late 1980’s. Probation was last year. Probation was lifted in 2019 but site visit to ensure they are up to standards would be 2021 (my first year of the program)

13 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

My question would be the reason for probationary status. Programs can be put on probation for a variety of things, some related to serious programmatic concerns and others related to record-keeping for instance. 

The program was on probation because of documentation and record keeping so that is not too scary for me. But the risk of that not being cleared up open the next check freaks me out.

If that's the case, then it isn't as much of a gamble, but it is still a gamble. Do you mind sharing which 2 programs you are between? That may also help us give more feedback on factors to consider. Honestly, there's some pretty crummy programs out there that have been consistently accredited. 

9 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

If that's the case, then it isn't as much of a gamble, but it is still a gamble. Do you mind sharing which 2 programs you are between? That may also help us give more feedback on factors to consider. Honestly, there's some pretty crummy programs out there that have been consistently accredited. 

Thank you! Yes I am choosing between Indiana university of Pennsylvania and Indiana state university

20 minutes ago, Psydgirl2020 said:

Thank you! Yes I am choosing between Indiana university of Pennsylvania and Indiana state university

Looking at the outcome data, Indiana state looks like it has a smaller cohort size and slightly better match rates, plus cheaper tuition.