Funding Confirmation from Oxford?

ShireenAz

Hi all,

I received an acceptance letter for a Phd in Theology and Religious Studies last week (10 Jan deadline) but waiting to hear about funding. In your experience, how long does it take. I am dyingg.

Congratulations! I'm also interested in finding out. I was accepted into a PhD programme at Oxford as well, but I have no idea about funding or even if I will be working as a T.A. My understanding is that the Clarendon, for example, may take as long as late May to advise successful applicants. Meanwhile, I need to confirm in less than 2 weeks. So we'll see what happens, but I'd appreciate it if anyone has any more insight than I do.

Also curious about when I should hear back from the college to which I'm assigned, as I believe they may also have some degree of funding. They had mentioned I should hear back in a few weeks, but that was a few weeks ago now!

• 3 weeks later...

@polyphoria I received my college placement today (fairly early, I thought it would take a lot longer), but without any information concerning scholarships/funding. Do you know if we'll be informed separately of any money sources, or if I didn't get any as nothing was mentioned in either of my offers?

On 3/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, Hanhan** said:

@polyphoria I received my college placement today (fairly early, I thought it would take a lot longer), but without any information concerning scholarships/funding. Do you know if we'll be informed separately of any money sources, or if I didn't get any as nothing was mentioned in either of my offers?

What college did you get into? I did an MSc at Ox in 2014-15 and didn't get funded until June.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, TimTheEnchanter said:

What college did you get into? I did an MSc at Ox in 2014-15 and didn't get funded until June.

I got into St. Antony's. I know that they have several separate scholarships that students in my MPhil course can apply to, but I thought I understood that Oxford also offered other scholarships. How common is it to get funding/how high is it on average (for a non-UK citizen)? 

24 minutes ago, Hanhan** said:

I got into St. Antony's. I know that they have several separate scholarships that students in my MPhil course can apply to, but I thought I understood that Oxford also offered other scholarships. How common is it to get funding/how high is it on average (for a non-UK citizen)? 

I went to St Antony's and I had an absolute blast. It was a fantastic college that only accepts grads from social science (and a few humanities, maybe) programs, so you're amongst like minded people. The one downside is that as a newer college, it doesn't have the endowment some of the others have and is short on cash for many things.

I have to say I'm not sure how common funding is for non UK/EU citizens since I am an EU citizen. Based on official stats, roughly 1/5th of incoming graduate students are offered some sort of funding, but I don't know what the distribution is based on country of origin. I can tell you completely anecdotally that during my time at St Ants, the vast majority of US/CA/AUS students were self-funded (unless they had a Marshall, Rhodes or Clarendon), students from developing countries were overwhelmingly on scholarship, and UK/EU students were maybe about half and half. But, again, that's just anecdotal.

@TimTheEnchanter Thank you for your long message! St. Antony's indeed sounds amazing and offers so many additional possibilities for my field of study. Do you happen to remember if you/others were informed about getting a scholarship when you were told about your college placement or if this came later?

I'm actually a EU (Western Europe)-US citizen, so I guess I might have better chances for a scholarship given your anecdote. 

The college placement information came so much quicker than expected, so I'm hoping that I'll hear about any scholarships from Oxford before mid-April, when I have to accept/reject my other offers.

Do you agree that living costs are as high as 1.200 pounds/month? This seems very high in my opinion...

I am an international student, also waiting for news regarding funding... About a week ago I was notified that due to COVID-19 decisions about college placement and funding might be delayed. I want to go there so bad, but without funding it would be impossible. 

40 minutes ago, Manana said:

I am an international student, also waiting for news regarding funding... About a week ago I was notified that due to COVID-19 decisions about college placement and funding might be delayed. I want to go there so bad, but without funding it would be impossible. 

Hi,  I'm also an international student waiting for a good news! got my offer 3-4 weeks ago but heard nothing regarding the college allocation & funding. Fingers crossed for you as well!

On 3/31/2020 at 2:07 AM, Hanhan** said:

@TimTheEnchanter Thank you for your long message! St. Antony's indeed sounds amazing and offers so many additional possibilities for my field of study. Do you happen to remember if you/others were informed about getting a scholarship when you were told about your college placement or if this came later?

I'm actually a EU (Western Europe)-US citizen, so I guess I might have better chances for a scholarship given your anecdote. 

The college placement information came so much quicker than expected, so I'm hoping that I'll hear about any scholarships from Oxford before mid-April, when I have to accept/reject my other offers.

Do you agree that living costs are as high as 1.200 pounds/month? This seems very high in my opinion...

My scholarship definitely came later, like a couple months later. That sad, I'd assume each funding body (I.e. the Clarendon, HEFCE, college specific funds, department specific funds, etc) may have different dates. 

As for living costs, as I remember it my funding was about 13k for living expenses, and I lived in some of pricier St Ant's accommodations (Founder's) for 10 months (technically I was in another building for the summer though). On the day I left and closed my bank account, I had exactly 82p left in there, which means I spent pretty much 1300 pm. But I did buy a laptop with that money and I wasn't scrimping or saving. So you could do it for less, if you live in some of the smaller rooms, or live off campus farther from town and bike to campus for example.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:34 PM, TimTheEnchanter said:

My scholarship definitely came later, like a couple months later. That sad, I'd assume each funding body (I.e. the Clarendon, HEFCE, college specific funds, department specific funds, etc) may have different dates. 

As for living costs, as I remember it my funding was about 13k for living expenses, and I lived in some of pricier St Ant's accommodations (Founder's) for 10 months (technically I was in another building for the summer though). On the day I left and closed my bank account, I had exactly 82p left in there, which means I spent pretty much 1300 pm. But I did buy a laptop with that money and I wasn't scrimping or saving. So you could do it for less, if you live in some of the smaller rooms, or live off campus farther from town and bike to campus for example.

Did you get Clarendon at that time ?

Does anyone know whether it is considered appropriate to email your department, or the offices of a particular fund, to ask if the successful applicants have been notified already?

According to posters in The Student Room, Clarendons have already been allocated, 

I was aware of the slim chances from the beginning, but still, knowing that I probably would not get to go to Oxford leaves me feeling heartbroken.