Review of MPA program at Maxwell School - Syracuse University

rjain

Hi All,

I have got acceptance from Maxwell School at Syracuse University for MPA program. But based on the replies/posts on this website, I have noticed that not many students apply to this program despite being ranked as #1 as per US News Rankings.

Can someone please share their opinion as to why less number of people apply to this program in comparison to other universities. I wish to know the industrial recognition and quality of the program. In addition, how have been the employment outcomes in the past (if aware of).

Thank you.

• 6 months later...

I don't really have any knowledge on the topic, but I would imagine it's probably a combination of the terrible location (both from a weather/culture perspective and a career perspective) compared to other top schools as well as the perceived decrease in prestige in the Syracuse brand vs names like Harvard/Princeton/Columbia. I think Indiana is pretty high on a lot of rankings too and suffers from similar issues. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 12:33 PM, tshirt said:

I don't have anything to add, but I am bumping this too because I am very confused by it. 

Syracuse and Indiana is interesting because both those programs have really strong research (especially with their PhD programs in Policy) and produce some of the most ground breaking policy research out there. That is how get such good ratings on US News (that is essentially a beauty contests whereby Deans basically rate their peers). 

The research excellence does trickle down to the MPA level given your range of professorial and research access. However, both locations are challenging to conduct experiential learning.