Notifying Schools of Big-5 Book Offer?

eluveitie

My manuscript is going to Acquisitions with a Big-5 publisher next week. If I receive a book offer, should I let the schools know? I am still waiting to hear from a handful of programs. I was accepted into one program, but it only offers funding to a small number of students, so I'm hoping that it might sway them, if this does become a book deal.

Edit: I imagine that, if this book is acquired, it may be another several weeks or even a month+ before the Publisher's Marketplace announcement is made.

Edited by eluveitie

Hi Anyone else here considering Brooklyn College poetry 2020?  Would be great to be in touch, I tentatively think that will be my choice, unless Brown comes through?

From what I've seen anecdotally, having a published novel doesn't seem to weigh much on decisions. Plus, the whole point of the MFA is to produce a novel-length manuscript. If you've already done that, adcomms may wonder why you're applying.

16 hours ago, feralgrad said:

From what I've seen anecdotally, having a published novel doesn't seem to weigh much on decisions. Plus, the whole point of the MFA is to produce a novel-length manuscript. If you've already done that, adcomms may wonder why you're applying.

I just want to improve my writing and become a professor... It seems kind of strange that having a publishing history should work against me. 

2 hours ago, eluveitie said:

I just want to improve my writing and become a professor... It seems kind of strange that having a publishing history should work against me. 

I don't think it would work against you per se. That said, most MFA faculty don't view it as a professional credential; they view it as time dedicated to completing and polishing a manuscript, which you've already done. In fact, I've heard that being a published author is more valuable for university teaching prospects than the degree. So with that in mind, I'm suggesting that adcoms may not view it as important or "proof" of anything.

That's just one person's opinion, though. I don't think it would hurt to mention it, I just don't think it would help.

Edited by feralgrad