Thoughts on The New School for Social Research?

gradill2019

Hello!

Any current/past students of NSSR -

What is NSSR's reputation in academia today?

For anyone who has taken their MA Examination - how difficult is it, what percentage of students pass with honours, where do they end up for PhD...

Thoughts on your cohort?

To what extent do MA students get opportunities to work with professors as research assistants?

How does the research faculty compare to NYU and Columbia? Also, is there a (bad) reason why the school doesn't show up in rankings.....

I did not study sociology in my undergrad, although I've held short political-soc and labor-econ research assistance positions before. I want to get an MA in Soc because I have similar research interests as a prof at NSSR but I don't think I'm ready to apply to a PhD program just yet. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, applicant2016 said:

Columbia’s 1-year MA PROGRAM IS A MUCH BETTER BET IF YOureE LOOKING TO LAND In A FUDED PHd program

Hi, could you please explain more since I'm struggling with the choice of MA at Columbia or NSSR(with half funded). Thx

17 hours ago, applicant2016 said:

Columbia’s 1-year MA PROGRAM IS A MUCH BETTER BET IF YOureE LOOKING TO LAND In A FUDED PHd program

How do you know? And if you aren't lucky enough to land "money" to pay for the Coumbia MA program which is over $50,000 for the one year you will have to take out private loans.  I have looked at both programs and it looks like the New School has an excellent Master's program, which can be done part time. This allows the student to work while in school, which I am not sure how taking 15 graduate hours a semester could be done while also working at the same time.  I am sure you can find out the outcomes for both schools by asking the school. I was admitted to the New School in the 1990's. I didn't end up going there but I believe they are offing more scholarship now than then, their web site says most get 40% of tution.  My 2 cents worth.

I'll say stick with the one with smaller cohort, greater attention from faculty and ideally a two-year one to get your research ideas ready for PhD programs. The one-year Columbia program sounds more like a cash cow to me. If I were in your shoes, I will choose New School over Columbia.

Edited by socio1251

23 hours ago, socio1251 said:

I'll say stick with the one with smaller cohort, greater attention from faculty and ideally a two-year one to get your research ideas ready for PhD programs. The one-year Columbia program sounds more like a cash cow to me. If I were in your shoes, I will choose New School over Columbia.

• 9 months later...
On 4/11/2020 at 8:53 PM, applicant2016 said:

I'd object. If you're looking for a program to test the water. Try UChicago one's. that's a better bet, and they offer (though limited) funding opportunities even to master students. Columbia's MA is too pricy. If you must stay in NYC, or still thinking about Columbia, the QMSS program is better.