What do you do if your Acceptance of Offer Deadline Before Hearing from Other Schools?

Arthistoryiscool

I have heard back from a couple schools and one wants an answer in a couple of weeks even though I just found out a week ago. I am still waiting to hear from other schools, mostly for financial reasons. The school with the quick deadline definitely does not have aid and I am afraid that I will make myself a target if I ask other schools about their decision and tell them that I have already received acceptances. I don't want to make things worse, but I also have to decide ASAP? Has anyone else had experience with this situation??

6 hours ago, roving99 said:

You shouldn’t have to respond until April 15th. It’s an agreed upon date by accredited institutions. Sounds fishy to me if they have a deadline before then. 

It looks like it only applies if your acceptance includes an offer of financial support :( https://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGSResolution_Nov2019Revision.pdf

I agree with roving99. This is not OK. The CGS resolution does only apply to financial offers, but no proper school would force you to make this decision before April 15. And these proper schools will tell you just that if you tell them that you are being pressured. Also, please do not go get a graduate degree in art history without any financial aid!

2 hours ago, Villard said:

I agree with roving99. This is not OK. The CGS resolution does only apply to financial offers, but no proper school would force you to make this decision before April 15. And these proper schools will tell you just that if you tell them that you are being pressured. Also, please do not go get a graduate degree in art history without any financial aid!

totally. Unfortunately most of the pricey bouge MA programs do not typically offer scholarships and even the ones that have given me offers won't make much of a dent. Applying to work study, but won't know what the amt I am qualified for is until it's too late. Awesome!

I already posted this in another thread, but Tufts, Case Western, and Williams offer aid to MA students and have a great track record placing them subsequently into PhD programs (although it depends on the advisor, I hear). Good luck!