University of St. Augustine SLP Program

Hey ya'll,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up on the University of St. Augustine. This is an online program that is currently in candidacy for accreditation. First and foremost, I would like to highlight that you should always do your research on schools and ask questions about their philosophy on teaching before you apply. St. Augustine offers a 20 month curriculum with all online classes and 4 in person clinical immersions (where you fly into campus) and 1 where you return to graduate, for a total of 5 times you will visit the campus (Dallas or Austin). Here is the scope: St. Augustine is a self-taught program meaning you will be assigned to read book chapters, articles and will be given a few slides for each weeks module. There are no pre-recorded lectures, study guides or student-teacher interactions (other than the in person clinicals). With that in mind, you must be really disciplined and committed 200% into school work. Before applying make sure this learning style is adequate for yourself. As for grading, doing the work assignments will earn you a B, you must go above and beyond to earn a 100% (we are still trying to figure out what this means exactly). There are no examples on how you should turn in work and no examples will be given. If this is your learning style wonderful! Before applying keep this in mind. 

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder why they don't offer live classes where you can interact with the professor in real time?

• 9 months later...

As a student there, I can say pre-recorded lectures, study guides, and teacher interactions vary by class. I would say about half the classes meet every other week via zoom and some only for midterm and final reviews. You do not have to go above and beyond to earn A's. Just being able to demonstrate that you understand the material and can apply it will earn you an A. All assignment requirements are listed and examples can be given if you ask the professor. 

I thought I should add my perspective here, because I didn't want to hijack the other forum referring to leveling courses. I would agree that teacher and student interactions vary by professor. However, I would say each semester had maybe one class with prerecorded lectures and the rest were self taught with textbooks. The majority of classes met before midterms and finals and maybe one or two times more than that. The only consistent zoom meeting we had were in the first two trimesters were we met with clinical supervisors for simucase. I was able to get all As without issue, but some did not. As speechie03 stated, it's about application of information (Except for the drawings no one got 100% on lol). We are not allowed to get below Bs (I think can only get one C) and they want everyone to pass. Most professors have been helpful when you email them and will provide answers and examples when needed. Not all are pleasant or accomodating, but most are. Really its expected at all graduate schools that there will be some rude professors.

The main issue is that the school preaches flexibility but know that a handful of students have been given full time placements with a full load of coursework, which is atypical for slp gradschools. People have had 40hrs a week placement with a commute, on top of 4 classes. It's really not flexible and when faculty says prepare for no life with graduate school they mean it. They also began a virtual clinic that is a big struggle. Many people were assigned clients within a short period of time (sometimes a day before) and have to work this around their regular clinical placement. It is non-negotionable, and honestly unprofessional to the placements we have contracts with. With COVID, they asked half of the students to move for placements this trimester. Even thought it is a pandemic and financially difficult. Also there have been two tuition increases since my start in the program. The third one was scheduled but postponed due to COVID, so when you start here just prepare for that.

Edited by Ivy27

I was accepted into this program for Fall 2021. How is the workload? How many hours per week do you spend studying and doing assignments? I do not work but I am married and have three school-aged children. I want to do a full-time program because I am in my mid 30s and want to get this done but being able to spend weekends and evenings with my family is also important to me. Thanks

@gatorgirl850I try to balance out my time and spend 2-3 hours working on assignments and readings in the evenings during the week, but that doesn’t always happen! I usually get most of it done during the week and then finish the rest on the weekends. The first two trimesters were not that bad because I didn’t work either and was home all the time. There is a clinical placement for trimesters 3-5 so i have had to plan it out and manage my time accordingly.