Should I take this as no?

alain.orange

I tried to negotiate the fellowship with the program director but was told that he's not in control of the finances and that I should contact finance office directly. It's a bit hard to believe that he doesn't have control over finances because I know a current student who had asked for funding to the director last year and the director contacted the finance office on behalf of the student to get more $$. (Maybe it's right to say that the director has no "control" over the finance, but I'm sure he can have an impact.) I'm going to contact the finance office but do you think this is a way of saying "no" on the program director's side? and likely that the finance office will decline to raise the fellowship?

The finance office got back saying that the fellowship is given directly by the program department. And I'm even more confused why the director had said that he has no control over the fellowship in the first place. Can anyone share their thoughts on this? also if I should negotiate with the director again?

That is indeed strange. Is there any chance the director misunderstood you somehow when you asked him? Is the director the only person you can ask about this? Could you reach out to your friend again and clarify what his process was like, how he communicated with the director (email, phone), at what point of the admissions period was it, was it even the same director, etc? 

Is the "program" referring the fellowship itself, or are you talking about some department within a university (or whatever institution)? Perhaps there is someone else in the department that could shed some light on this situation.

Thank you for your reply @Umenohana! I just know of the current student so it's hard for me to ask, but he had asked via email to the same director. He's a citizen and I'm an international student... not sure if that makes any difference? The finance office told me that they don't give "assistance" to the international students but the fellowship is given by the program department, which I already received a little and is what I'm trying to negotiate on. I directly asked for "increase in the fellowship" so I don't know how the director might have misunderstood it? Also, I meant the department when I say the "program".

I'm trying to follow up with the director now and it's hard to make it not sound like I'm not accusing him... anyone have any suggestions as to how I should go about it?

Edited by alain.orange