Jump to content

Umenohana

Members
  • Content Count

    75
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Umenohana

  1. The fact that they allowed extensions for the 2020 cohort despite being pretty adamant about it earlier (and likely facing restrictions with gov budgeting) should definitely make you optimistic that even if things aren't so great for the 2021 cohort by winter/spring, you'll still be able to to defer further.
  2. Oh? Have you heard from someone you know or in another group? Any idea if it was for Flagship or general Boren?
  3. I haven't checked the portal since submitting the application, but yeah, mine is empty as well. I think that's normal though. My previous year's application on there is also empty.
  4. From what I understand, this is how it works. Person A and person B accept by May 2nd. In July, they're told that their country is a no-go for the fall. Person A decides to hold out and wait to see is maybe they can go in winter/spring/or even summer. So they are just deferred, but still considered to be a recipient, so nothing changes. Person B decides it's not worth it due to conflicting plans or something, and declines their award at that time. This means that an alternate of a similar profile will get promoted. (Whether they take into account approved vs non-approved for the fall countries
  5. Hard to tell. There may be a wave of notifications after the May 2 deadline. Possibly one more in around July, when they announce which countries are a no-go. But otherwise, it could be at about any time.
  6. So apparently I was not quite right on this. My campus Boren advisor says that when Boren promotes alternates, they generally try to choose someone who is a close match based on the application package. This goes for amount of funds requested and country/language (or at least the region). He didn't say it, but my guess is that academic background and career aspirations could also play into this. This was also hinted at by the Boren Asia advisor's email I recently got. So looks like alternates are not really taken from a general pool and your country choice matters more than I thought.
  7. *** this is true but does NOT apply to 2021 Virtual Institutes. If you participate in 2021, it does count against the limit.
  8. I totally get your feeling! It's awful that there's now this whole other level of uncertainty added to our already mess of a situation.
  9. Nope, just the regular Fellowship program to Japan
  10. I think another thing to consider is that Boren very likely has different standards for students of different levels. For example, I was accepted at first try for the Scholarship a few years ago, even though when I look back, I see that my essays were not that great at all. But I went to some school that nobody knows and doesn't have a Boren advisor or any other previous finalists, so maybe that bumped me up in some way. Last year, I was accepted as a Fellowship finalist, and although I updated my application a bit for this cycle, maybe they expected a lot more experience/achievements from a 2
  11. That's good, sometimes a campus representative might also be able to shed some light on these things, if they've been in the position for a while. Yep, I am an alternate right now as well.
  12. I think they would look at the strength of your application rather than the country itself, so don't worry! I meant that I don't think they have a "line" of finalists-alternates per each country. So it wouldn't be like if one person declines for Cambodia, the next best alternate for Cambodia would get it. But again, that's just my opinion, I don't really know how their system works. But let us know if you hear back!
  13. It's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure it would be for the entire Boren program. They don't really have spots per country and some countries may have only one or two finalists without any alternates or even applicants behind in the line. They might take the country or part of the world into consideration, but I'd think in general, it would not matter too much. Just my opinion based on the data I've seen.
  14. Not a dumb question at all! I think you'd usually receive how much you asked for, unless it was very clear that you overestimated. Or if your program changed and the new one is cheaper, you'd have to ask them to adjust accordingly. Your amount can also be adjusted when you already start the program, if you find out you need to use less. It's always easy to go lower, they'll happily take back the money. It's more tricky to request a higher amount and approval is not guaranteed. I don't quite remember if there would be a separate email, but if your country has not been approved yet, you mi
  15. Oh yeah, I mean that they can accept, meaning no spots will open up, but they'd still be free to decline at a later date. If they don't sign the agreement yet and don't get any funds, they can just decline later. And I doubt Boren will make them sign anything if their country is not one of the approved ones yet. That's how it was in our 2020 cohort, we are just in the "technically accepted" limbo.
  16. For the alternates, I don't know much about how likely it is to get promoted, but I am afraid chances are very low for us, especially with that September cutoff. My guess is that most people won't decline by May 2nd yet, and sit on the award and see where it takes them. Since travel approvals are so uncertain, it really doesn't make sense to decline, if they can just decline at a later date without any penalty. (That's what lots of us in the 2020 cohort have been doing, not many of us actually declined, unless they were absolutely sure that it's not what they wanted anymore)
  17. Alternate for the Fellowship. Not what I expected to hear, huh..
  18. They kind of allowed us to defer, but not really. At first it was "you must leave by March 1st 2021, no matter what." I think that's the usual Boren guidelines. Then closer to the end of fall, they allowed us to defer our departure date to either summer or fall 2021. But in either case, we'd absolutely HAVE to come back to the US by December 31, 2021. Nobody would be able to stay into 2022. As mentioned above, they haven't actually told us if summer 2021 is an option. We're still waiting on that decision to come out. Haven't heard any updates since when we had to put in our deferral deci
  19. It will contain the decision in the email itself.
  20. That's a very good point. But they did tell us (old cohort) it would be *by* April 16th, so there's still that possibility. Oh well, no use in guessing. Hopefully in the next few days both news should come out!
  21. I would suggest trying to speak to others who did CLS Bangla last year (if there was a virtual institute for it) and hear about their experiences. In general, participants of virtual programs said it was absolutely worth it, but if your worries are about Bangla specifically, it may be worth it to talk to others. But as someone above said, it will not hurt your chances at all if you decline now. If you already decided you don't want to do it this year, don't worry about having to decline.
  22. April 15, 2020 was a Wednesday. According to my campus Boren Advisor, April 15 is a pretty reliable trend. I'm guessing the only reason it was the 17th in 2017 was because April 15th and 16th were weekend days, so it fell on the first weekday afterwards. So I still think it will be April 15 this year, or 16th at the latest. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.
  23. In 2020, I got the email Wednesday, April 15, 5:10 pm. In 2017, I got the email Monday, April 17, 10:06 am. This might not be super helpful. Also, both of these were acceptance emails and for the study in Asia. It's possible that rejection emails or those for different regions came at different times. I would guess that later in the day would be more common, but I hope someone from other years has more info
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.