Rutgers History VS JHU history

Emmanuelle

Hi I am working on French and Francophone history, and I am now hesitating between Rutgers history and JHU history program. Both are well-funded. Personally I prefer the advisor at Rutgers who seems to have good network in IVY schools, but JHU seems to have a better reputation. I hope to seek a tenure job in top US universities in the future, so I look very much forward to your comments. Thanks!

12 hours ago, Emmanuelle said:

Hi I am working on French and Francophone history, and I am now hesitating between Rutgers history and JHU history program. Both are well-funded. Personally I prefer the advisor at Rutgers who seems to have good network in IVY schools, but JHU seems to have a better reputation. I hope to seek a tenure job in top US universities in the future, so I look very much forward to your comments. Thanks!

I attend Rutgers; feel free to PM me.

I'm obviously biased, but our modern Europe field is very very strong at Rutgers (esp vs Hopkins, which I tend to think of as stronger in early modern Europe-- but someone else can correct me on this) and places pretty well. Not in the Ivies, mind you, but if you only want to teach at Ivies and elite public schools, you're going to have a hard time of it no matter what program you attend; most people on the job market don't get to be picky.

Edited by gsc

22 hours ago, Emmanuelle said:

Look at what your advisor's former students are doing. If one advisor is pumping out TT faculty members, and the other is producing people with non-academic careers, it's clear, in view of your goals, who to choose.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:52 PM, Emmanuelle said:

seems to have good network in IVY schools.

I have colleagues in both departments. This right here is not a good reason to choose over the other. Connections, yes. Connections to ivies, ??? I’m trying to think a scenario where this, and this alone, would be useful, but I can’t. 

this right here is great advice: 

On 3/20/2020 at 10:39 PM, psstein said:

Look at what your advisor's former students are doing. If one advisor is pumping out TT faculty members, and the other is producing people with non-academic careers, it's clear, in view of your goals, who to choose.

I would add, however, to choose the place (not necessarily advisor) that provides excellent support for those goals. Workshops, funding, etc 

• 3 weeks later...