Factors in my decision- what is important?

Hi everyone! I am currently deciding between three schools, each for different reasons. A little background info on other factors: my mom is paying for my graduate school and I am super thankful, but with the economy the way it is right now I feel guilty even though she keeps telling me to not let cost play a factor in my decision. Additionally, I currently do not have a specialty in mind, I have interests, but nothing concrete. Here are some factors I am considering in my decision making:

1. Number of clinical placements- Does having more clinical placements outside of an in-house clinic look more appealing to employers? This may allow me to explore more options, but one school also offers various specialties within their multiple in-house clinics.

2. Rankings- I know everyone says rankings don't matter, but I have a hard time believing it. I am possibly moving across the country after graduate school and have no connections. Would going to a highly ranked school help me get a job wherever I go (in whatever I decide to specialize in?)

3. Specialized classes- does having very unique electives help you as well or prove to be beneficial? One school I am considering offers a lot of very unique and specific electives, and majority of classes are electives. 

I am feeling very lost on my decision making and worried I am going to make the wrong choice. Any input is appreciated! Hope everyone is staying safe!

Hi! I feel you 100% I spent a long time looking into the same questions and this is what I got:

For #1 The amount of clinical placements will make you look better for jobs, but not THAT much more appealing considering everyone does between 2-4 anyways. The main benefit of doing more clinical placements is that if they are in a hospital/school/private practice you can get job offers through them. 

For #2 I've heard from SLP's that I've mentored with that the reason it doesn't matter about the ranking is that its an in-demand field so as long as you are qualified with your CCC's and went to an ASHA accredited school, you'll get a job. I've noticed that getting a good CFY or externship depends on if the school has good connections with nearby providers. Again, if you get a good CFY/externship/clinical placement you have a better shot at getting a good job. With that being said, you can still get a job without having extraordinary experience during grad school. You'll just develop your repertoire after grad school. 

#3, specializations or emphases will make you more marketable for jobs and can be used for leverage when you are negotiating your salary. For example, a specialization in autism, AAC, bilingualism, and multiculturalism, etc. is in demand and can be grounds for a pay raise or a reason for you to be hired over another candidate for a job. 

Stay safe and good luck!

Edited by MadisonMachelle