Harvard vs Stanford vs Berkeley Chemistry PhD

struggleknot

Before you say anything, I swear this isn't a humblebrag/shitpost, I'm actually being serious. 

I was fortunate enough to be accepted into some of the top chemistry PhD programs in the country. I've narrowed my final choice down to Stanford, Berkeley, and Harvard, all very good schools that do very good science. I was able to visit the first two schools before the COVID outbreak cancelled visits across the nation, including Harvard's (who then cancelled their virtual visit).

I didn't fall fully in love with Stanford or Berkeley, but I want to say that I liked Berkeley better than I expected (the students there felt genuinely happy or at least very honest/open, I like the research, and the PI's seem reasonable), but Stanford less than I expected (I had a miserable visit weekend, something about the students seemed off, but I did like the faculty over there better). 

It's also good to note that I'm from the Bay Area (closer to Stanford). The stipend at Stanford is $46.6k, while Berkeley's is $36k. I heard sometimes Berkeley kids grasp at straws to pay rent and necessities, and the stipend at Stanford is just enough to pay for rent and food after taxes, but I'd need to pay for half the cost of my health insurance there, which isn't great for a person like me.

I was hoping to get a good impression of Harvard and the Cambridge area during a visit, but obviously that couldn't happen. I've managed to get in touch with a few PI's and some students there, and I think in terms of research, they might be my top, although I'm still looking to get more viewpoints. I know things there have changed in the past few years (gender ratio, work-life balance, etc.) but I can't get a gut feeling of a department (like I did with Stanford and Berkeley) without actually being there. 

Harvard's stipend for my first year is about $32.2k (well, they said they might adjust it to be higher). I have no idea what that means for living in the Boston area.

Does anyone know how I should go forward making a decision, especially when I might want to commit to a place without visiting? Additionally, if you have any advice you want to offer about any of these schools, please drop it down in the comments! Thank you!

Edited by struggleknot

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 7:22 PM, struggleknot said:

Before you say anything, I swear this isn't a humblebrag/shitpost, I'm actually being serious. 

I was fortunate enough to be accepted into some of the top chemistry PhD programs in the country. I've narrowed my final choice down to Stanford, Berkeley, and Harvard, all very good schools that do very good science. I was able to visit the first two schools before the COVID outbreak cancelled visits across the nation, including Harvard's (who then cancelled their virtual visit).

I didn't fall fully in love with Stanford or Berkeley, but I want to say that I liked Berkeley better than I expected (the students there felt genuinely happy or at least very honest/open, I like the research, and the PI's seem reasonable), but Stanford less than I expected (I had a miserable visit weekend, something about the students seemed off, but I did like the faculty over there better). 

It's also good to note that I'm from the Bay Area (closer to Stanford). The stipend at Stanford is $46.6k, while Berkeley's is $36k. I heard sometimes Berkeley kids grasp at straws to pay rent and necessities, and the stipend at Stanford is just enough to pay for rent and food after taxes, but I'd need to pay for half the cost of my health insurance there, which isn't great for a person like me.

I was hoping to get a good impression of Harvard and the Cambridge area during a visit, but obviously that couldn't happen. I've managed to get in touch with a few PI's and some students there, and I think in terms of research, they might be my top, although I'm still looking to get more viewpoints. I know things there have changed in the past few years (gender ratio, work-life balance, etc.) but I can't get a gut feeling of a department (like I did with Stanford and Berkeley) without actually being there. 

Harvard's stipend for my first year is about $32.2k (well, they said they might adjust it to be higher). I have no idea what that means for living in the Boston area.

Does anyone know how I should go forward making a decision, especially when I might want to commit to a place without visiting? Additionally, if you have any advice you want to offer about any of these schools, please drop it down in the comments! Thank you!

You’ve probably decided already, but I do want to point out that Harvard’s stipend is very low when compared to COL in the Cambridge area. It’s pretty hard to find a room under $1k, even with roommates, and you’ll also be paying taxes on the stipend on top of that. You will probably want to look for external fellowships. 

I am compelled to point out that Stanford is, in every way that matters, an inferior institution to the University of California. It is a more horrible place than even UCLA--the lowest satellite second-tier campus in the UC system that steals glory from Cal. #irony.

Much more seriously, I would avoid Cal if I had an opportunity to attend a private university. MOO, the impact of COVID-19 is going to hit the finances of public institutions sooner than private ones, and public institutions will also be vulnerable to secondary and tertiary impacts beyond the control of regents.

And also...

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/04/01/coronavirus-response-financial-impacts-of-covid-19/