CUNY schools

Hello! I have just been accepted to CUNY Lehman and I am waiting to hear back from CUNY Queens and CUNY Hunter. Can someone tell me a little bit about these programs? I know they are smaller and considerably way cheaper than the private schools in the area. I have also been accepted to Teachers College, Columbia University so I am also weighing the pros and cons between these programs. Thank you!!

I went to CUNY Queens for a different undergrad degree. It seems like you're both from NYC as well, but if you want any general info about the campus I can probably help. They do have good connections with the nearby schools. 

I got into Hunter and TC (didn't apply to Queens or Lehman but I heard they're good programs) a few years ago. People are very nice and have a cooperative atmosphere at both schools, but Hunter students are super close knit because of their small cohort size. TC has more students and you may be split into 2-3 cohorts with different schedules, but you will still interact with each other in clinic or electives.

I ended up choosing TC because of a few reasons:

1. TC is well known for its multicultural focus and you only need to take one extra class to satisfy the bilingual extension requirements. I was told that I would need to do an extra semester (of bilingual education classes rather than SLP classes I think) at Hunter to fulfill the requirements.

2. At Hunter you had to work with a faculty and write a thesis in your 2nd year. 

3. Prestige. 99% of employers don't care where you go to school but my family did lol.

100k at TC vs 25k at CUNYs is a huge difference so it is definitely important to weigh your options. Hope it was helpful! 

@zurako Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! After being rejected by Hunter and still waiting on Queens, it's looking like I am between Lehman and Teachers College. Lehman has a multicultural and bilingual focus as well, and no thesis. The prestige of the Ivy League is certainly enticing, however if I went to Lehman I would fortunately not have any loans or debt. I live in Queens, so TC a is a little closer via train. I also have a few friends that will be attending TC. I'm torn!! 

On 3/26/2020 at 12:49 PM, Mango_Princess said:

Bumping this topic because I would like to know more about their program as well! I was accepted to Queens and Lehman and am trying to decide between the two. 

Congratulations!!!! After doing some research I got info from people I reached out to. Hands down Queens College has the most exceptional clinical experience as it is a very small program and you will get plenty of individual attention. You start in the clinic right away but the clinic educators guide their students very well. Lehman College does not start right away but they said themselves that they guide their students and hold their hand along the way. Lehman has lots of electives in topics such as AAC, early intervention, and medical SLP that I did not notice at Queens College. Both are great programs!

Edited by citygirl0018

13 hours ago, citygirl0018 said:

Congratulations!!!! After doing some research I got info from people I reached out to. Hands down Queens College has the most exceptional clinical experience as it is a very small program and you will get plenty of individual attention. You start in the clinic right away but the clinic educators guide their students very well. Lehman College does not start right away but they said themselves that they guide their students and hold their hand along the way. Lehman has lots of electives in topics such as AAC, early intervention, and medical SLP that I did not notice at Queens College. Both are great programs!

Thank you so much for this!!! None of the people I've messaged have responded to me so this is quite helpful. You're right, both programs sound great so I clearly have a lot to think about before I make a decision. It sounds like you're leaning toward TC at this point, right? Or are you going to wait to see if the other CUNYs come through at the eleventh hour?

1 hour ago, Mango_Princess said:

Thank you so much for this!!! None of the people I've messaged have responded to me so this is quite helpful. You're right, both programs sound great so I clearly have a lot to think about before I make a decision. It sounds like you're leaning toward TC at this point, right? Or are you going to wait to see if the other CUNYs come through at the eleventh hour?

No problem!! I attend Queens College for undergrad and have observed in their clinic if you have any more questions. QC is my top but among the schools I have been accepted to I'm actually leaning towards Lehman College now after speaking to more people about their program. They have an aphasia group and an accent modification group which is really interesting to me! I am also waiting to hear from Brooklyn College as well, and am looking to get more information about their program as well. Feel free to message me privately if you'd like!