Columbia or Courtauld?

Arthistoryiscool

I hear from profs and people in the field that both Columbia and Courtauld are equally respected MA programs. Courtauld would be cheaper/faster but I have never been to London or the UK and the beautiful building/campus/museum is closed for the next year due to construction so classes are being held in this super grungy depressing looking building and all the art in their collection has been scattered around the city to different institutions. Sounds like you get a lot of 1 on 1 time with your professor but you really only have one or two profs since you are assigned to a very specific course option. I had never heard of the Courtauld before a family friend rec'd I apply. Columbia has a lot of great student programs and chances to curate or present papers and you get into all the NYC art museums for free and I would be closer to family/friends. I would have to take out some loans the second year but it wouldn't be tooo bad. I am really torn. I know there are rumors that "MA students don't get any attention from profs" on here but I talked to a recent phD grad and she said she felt people were treated equally and just expected to do their work independently and reach out to profs when needed, which makes sense to me seeing as how we are in grad school... I am trying to talk to people who have experienced both programs. Let me know your thoughts. My Courtauld option is in fashion history which is pretty specific and they said most people end up staying in that field although one of my profs said I could still do a phD in another field outside that, but it seems rough seeing as how you need extensive research experience in the field you want to pursue your dissertation in. I am super torn and only have a few days to decide!

On 3/28/2020 at 10:44 AM, raye237 said:

go to the Courtauld - super prestigous/great alumni network and still supposed to be an amazing program despite the construction. Columbia is better for your PhD and you won't come out with any loans. 

I think this is pretty spot on — the Courtauld is the better Masters and Columbia is the better PhD. The only caveat would be whether you actually want to pursue your concentration at the Courtauld; you would undoubtedly have more flexibility at Columbia. While you *wouldn't* be locked into that concentration for your PhD, it does lay some of the theoretical/knowledge foundation for your future study.