Relocate or Stay Local for MSW

bragierrnot

Hi everyone, It's getting close to decision time, and I still have no clue where I want to go. What it comes down to for me is deciding if I want to uproot and move for my MSW or stay in DC, where I've lived for the past six years. I've been accepted to some fantastic programs, including WashU (including a 30K scholarship) and Portland State, in which I fell in love with their program. I've been told as someone that wants to go into clinical counseling, where you went matters less than how much you paid and the debt you were left with. The situation I am in currently is very affordable, but I'm also worried that I've grown too comfortable, and I'm intimidated by the idea of moving to a new city with no support. It's a huge insecurity I have. I'd appreciate any insight.

Oh man, I feel... I personally have been leaning towards uprooting and moving somewhere new (Portland State is where I'm thinking too!!), but I've been told that if you're thinking of moving, remember that you possibly won't stay there for only 2 years, but likely will stay an additional 2 years or so when gaining licensure. Yes, you can get an MSW in one state and then move to another to get licensure, but employment is more difficult to come by before you are licensed, and often times people's first jobs after graduating are within the same network of people where they did their practicum sites in their advanced year.

Then again, grad school is the perfect excuse to move. When else are you going to have that opportunity sitting right in front of you?

PS I noticed you said you fell in love with Portland's program, and I'm trying to gain more information about it before making a final decision. If you have info on the program, please feel free to message me!