American Studies PhD...?

rassdam

This cycle I didn't get great offers from any History programs but I did get two great offers from American Studies program. I'd love some feedback on how to analyze ranking/reputation/program strength as for interdisciplinary programs. 

The first program is at Harvard. It's top ranked on NRC rankings - but according to most of the American Studies people I've spoken to, they don't have the greatest reputation within American Studies in terms of producing important or cutting edge scholarship. However, the programs requirements are loose and it offers an en route Masters in History. And most students end up in traditional history departments. (places like U Mississippi, U Minnesota, Cornell, U Idaho, North Carolina State, UC Berkeley) The program would give me a great pipeline to work with some great historians like Walter Johnson, Phil Deloria, Vincent Brown, Robin Bernstein, etc. The other edge to this is that if I decide to go alt-ac or out of academia completely, a Harvard pedigree is helpful. 

The second is at a well respected private institution. This program is very well defined in its approach to the discipline of American Studies, its intellectual community, etc. They apparently have built a top reputation within American Studies. And most of its students place into American or Ethnic studies departments (UPenn, Maryland, Brown, UCR, UCD, Wisconsin-Madison, etc) The students here also seem a bit more supported. While a few students in the past decades have gotten into traditional disciplines, I think its an anomaly since unlike the first program, you have to take American Studies courses rather than situating yourself in a traditional discipline. 

Pragmatic advice in this situation? The scholarship at the second school is pretty cool and they have a great reputation, but am I shooting myself in the foot by going to a program that only places its students into interdisciplinary programs? Aren't those the first to go during budget cuts? What if their reputation declines? I honestly dont know much about American Studies and applied to these programs on a whim. 

The Harvard program isint as strong or thriving, but at least I can build a portfolio in the history department by getting a History MA, working with Harvard historians, and having them on my committee. And it seems that the alt-ac students do well for themselves. 

Just now, telkanuru said:

What do you see yourself doing after grad school?

History departments don't hire AmStud PhDs.

Harvard AmStud does. 60-70% place in History departments. The other place in English or AmStud/Ethnic Studies. 

Just now, rassdam said:

Harvard AmStud does. 60-70% place in History departments. The other place in English or AmStud/Ethnic Studies. 

Nevertheless, history departments don't hire non-historians. So, what do you want to do?

Just now, telkanuru said:

Nevertheless, history departments don't hire non-historians. So, what do you want to do?

True. 

I'd want to be American Studies if it was a cutting edge department like USC or NYU or Berkeley. 

That's highly unlikely so I'd rather just have more options (have a child & partner). I suspect Harvard's degree would translate better across disciplines and into alt-ac than a name that might only have top pedigree within the few American Studies and Ethnic Studies across the country would. It'd be very difficult for me to up and move across the country. That seems to be the name of the game in academia so I figure the one that opens more doors is better? 

19 hours ago, telkanuru said:

What do you see yourself doing after grad school?

Funny story, I've seen AmStuds hired in my two departments (graduate institution and my current institution). 

20 hours ago, telkanuru said:

More a general rule than an absolute, but I agree, if you want to work in a history department, you're more likely to get there doing a history PhD than an American Studies PhD.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:33 PM, rassdam said:

Pragmatic advice in this situation?

I respectfully suggest that you try to break the habit of saying or writing "etc." That way, you'll never be in a position where a reader will look at a list of names or institutions or examples and think "I'm an etc?" or "X is not worth this person's time to write out?"

FWIW, the boss who hired me at my current job is now a MP/VP at the consultancy where I work has a Ph.D. in American Studies from a highly regarded program. Our practices generally center around structural engineering. This individual was ABD when the job offered a position. The career progression was meteoric even though the firm's practices generally center around structural engineering.

If you pick Harvard, I suggest that you understand that "pedigree,"  like "fit," means different things to different people. Will you be able and willing to meet the expectations of others with the same or similar pedigrees?

On 4/2/2020 at 12:43 PM, Sigaba said:

I respectfully suggest that you try to break the habit of saying or writing "etc." That way, you'll never be in a position where a reader will look at a list of names or institutions or examples and think "I'm an etc?" or "X is not worth this person's time to write out?"

FWIW, the boss who hired me at my current job is now a MP/VP at the consultancy where I work has a Ph.D. in American Studies from a highly regarded program. Our practices generally center around structural engineering. This individual was ABD when the job offered a position. The career progression was meteoric even though the firm's practices generally center around structural engineering.

If you pick Harvard, I suggest that you understand that "pedigree,"  like "fit," means different things to different people. Will you be able and willing to meet the expectations of others with the same or similar pedigrees?

Duly noted - thanks. 

And that's quite an interesting career trajectory. They must have done something well to make themselves legible. Were they interested in TT jobs? 

1 hour ago, rassdam said:

Duly noted - thanks. 

And that's quite an interesting career trajectory. They must have done something well to make themselves legible. Were they interested in TT jobs? 

AFIAK, the person in question was not interested in a TT job.

On 3/26/2020 at 6:33 PM, rassdam said:

This cycle I didn't get great offers from any History programs but I did get two great offers from American Studies program. I'd love some feedback on how to analyze ranking/reputation/program strength as for interdisciplinary programs. 

The first program is at Harvard. It's top ranked on NRC rankings - but according to most of the American Studies people I've spoken to, they don't have the greatest reputation within American Studies in terms of producing important or cutting edge scholarship. However, the programs requirements are loose and it offers an en route Masters in History. And most students end up in traditional history departments. (places like U Mississippi, U Minnesota, Cornell, U Idaho, North Carolina State, UC Berkeley) The program would give me a great pipeline to work with some great historians like Walter Johnson, Phil Deloria, Vincent Brown, Robin Bernstein, etc. The other edge to this is that if I decide to go alt-ac or out of academia completely, a Harvard pedigree is helpful. 

The second is at a well respected private institution. This program is very well defined in its approach to the discipline of American Studies, its intellectual community, etc. They apparently have built a top reputation within American Studies. And most of its students place into American or Ethnic studies departments (UPenn, Maryland, Brown, UCR, UCD, Wisconsin-Madison, etc) The students here also seem a bit more supported. While a few students in the past decades have gotten into traditional disciplines, I think its an anomaly since unlike the first program, you have to take American Studies courses rather than situating yourself in a traditional discipline. 

Pragmatic advice in this situation? The scholarship at the second school is pretty cool and they have a great reputation, but am I shooting myself in the foot by going to a program that only places its students into interdisciplinary programs? Aren't those the first to go during budget cuts? What if their reputation declines? I honestly dont know much about American Studies and applied to these programs on a whim. 

The Harvard program isint as strong or thriving, but at least I can build a portfolio in the history department by getting a History MA, working with Harvard historians, and having them on my committee. And it seems that the alt-ac students do well for themselves. 

This is a late reply but it's hard to offer advice without knowing what the well-respected private institution is. If it's NYU, feel free to email me. I have advisors in Am studies and took half of my coursework there, plus many of my friends are current students there and I have a lot of thoughts re the program/experience w the program.