Recommendations for MPP programs...

Hi all,

Although I would ideally end up in a doctoral program in economics, I also have an interest in slightly more applied work, and would like to apply to a few (2-5) public policy programs as a potential alternative. Unfortunately, I attended a very small, not-well-connected liberal arts school, so none of the faculty members I worked with as an undergrad have much knowledge of policy programs. I am putting in my own work to find programs that would be a "good fit," but I'd love recommendations to make sure I check out all the sensible options.

To narrow it down, I'll give some of my preferences:

• My primary interests are in domestic (US) policy, particularly economic and social policy.
  • Strong quantitative requirements/work is acceptable (maybe even preferable)!
  • If I earn an MPP and do not proceed to a doctoral program, I'd prefer work at a think tank or in government.

The absence of my qualifications -- and the absence of any preference for "overall strength" of the program -- is intentional; I'd like my applications to cover a fair amount of the spectrum.

So... any suggestions for programs I should investigate? Harvard (Kennedy School of Government) and UMich (Ford) are already on the list...

Thanks!

Edited by cathartic_j

I would add University of Chicago (Harris School) to your list as well. They have a strong quant program, and offer some tuition scholarships. I have very similar interests to you (though don't want to do an Econ phD).

Edited by go_blue

Thanks for the suggestions (and keep 'em coming)! I didn't really know much at all about Harris, so that's a particularly helpful tip. (Weirdly, Chicago's econ program is a terrible fit for me, so it would be funny if I ended up there because of the policy program.) I had already made a note to myself that Duke/Sanford looked like it could be a good match, but it's always helpful to have outside confirmation. :)

Thanks again, and if anyone else can chime in, please do so!

The two programs I was deciding between this year were the Georgetown Public Policy Institute and the Maxwell School at Syracuse University, so these are the ones I know about and would suggest you consider. They probably won't be at the top of your list in terms of reputation/academic bent (they are definitely professional programs) but people do go on to Ph.Ds after them and (depending on your background/stats) might give you more funding than others.

I don't know what the Georgetown Public Policy Institute's reputation is on social policy but they seem to have lots of interesting classes and knowledgeable professors in the area, and you can do a dual MPP/MA Econ degree. I think the econ classes are Ph.D. level. Georgetown doesn't have a top ranked econ department (I think it's something like 46 on U.S. News) but it's a great place to be if you want to work in a federal agency since you can intern in one during the year. The MPP also has three semesters of quant instead of the usual two, and you have to write a thesis that incorporates an empirical study (might be useful for Ph.D. apps).

The Maxwell School at Syracuse University is ranked 4th on social policy in U.S. News but seems to have less variety in the area, and the program is more geared towards public management than analysis (but the curriculum does have a good bit of analysis in it). You can also do a dual MPA/MA Econ at Syracuse, not sure if you can do Ph.D. level classes (econ department at Syracuse is similarly ranked to Georgetown's I think). You'll graduate from there with lots of great connections since as I'm told, the "Maxwell Mafia" pretty much dominates the U.S. bureaucracy and they really help each other out.

Edited by Minerva473

If you want to do a PhD in economics an MPA, MIA, MPP is not the way to go. Seriously, math math math. Full calc series (1,2,3), diff eq, real analysis and linear algebra. If you want a quant heavy policy program I recommend SIPA. Thats where I'm going next year--and I'm simultaneously boosting my math background. Its an international program, but they're connected to QMSS (Quantitative methods in social science research MA)--which is a lot of econometrics etc.--you can even get an additional MA in QMSS for just an extra semester by doing the "quantitative advanced economic analysis track" They also tell you that although its a professional program, people do go off to do phDs. The thing is that the policy programs are seen as quant weak by academic economists, so you must supplement with those math courses.

If you want to do a PhD in economics an MPA, MIA, MPP is not the way to go. Seriously, math math math. Full calc series (1,2,3), diff eq, real analysis and linear algebra. If you want a quant heavy policy program I recommend SIPA. Thats where I'm going next year--and I'm simultaneously boosting my math background. Its an international program, but they're connected to QMSS (Quantitative methods in social science research MA)--which is a lot of econometrics etc.--you can even get an additional MA in QMSS for just an extra semester by doing the "quantitative advanced economic analysis track" They also tell you that although its a professional program, people do go off to do phDs. The thing is that the policy programs are seen as quant weak by academic economists, so you must supplement with those math courses.

Right, sorry, I should have been more specific. I have not seen (from the data I've looked at) people going on to do Econ Ph.D.s after MPPs/MPAs -- mostly I've seen people doing public policy/public administration Ph.D.s . I have not done a whole lot of research on this though and have no idea whether doing a dual Econ MA makes a difference (the material I've read about Georgetown's dual MA Econ/MPP does suggest there's people who progress to the Econ Ph.D., no idea if these people are funded).

Edited by Minerva473

Once again, thanks to everyone who has replied, and I welcome as much feedback as people can give!

I'd also recommend Harris and I'd add GSPP and WWS as well.

I'll definitely take a closer look at UC-Berkeley/Goldman, but can you elaborate on why Princeton/Woodrow Wilson would be a good fit? I guess I could have made it more clear in the original post that I'm more interested mostly interested in analysis, which means I'm much more interested in MPP programs than MPAs. WWS only offers a one-year, mid-career MPP (not for me) ... so did you have the Ph.D program in mind?

The two programs I was deciding between this year were the Georgetown Public Policy Institute and the Maxwell School at Syracuse University, so these are the ones I know about and would suggest you consider. They probably won't be at the top of your list in terms of reputation/academic bent (they are definitely professional programs) but people do go on to Ph.Ds after them and (depending on your background/stats) might give you more funding than others.

I don't know what the Georgetown Public Policy Institute's reputation is on social policy but they seem to have lots of interesting classes and knowledgeable professors in the area, and you can do a dual MPP/MA Econ degree. I think the econ classes are Ph.D. level. Georgetown doesn't have a top ranked econ department (I think it's something like 46 on U.S. News) but it's a great place to be if you want to work in a federal agency since you can intern in one during the year. The MPP also has three semesters of quant instead of the usual two, and you have to write a thesis that incorporates an empirical study (might be useful for Ph.D. apps).

The Maxwell School at Syracuse University is ranked 4th on social policy in U.S. News but seems to have less variety in the area, and the program is more geared towards public management than analysis (but the curriculum does have a good bit of analysis in it). You can also do a dual MPA/MA Econ at Syracuse, not sure if you can do Ph.D. level classes (econ department at Syracuse is similarly ranked to Georgetown's I think). You'll graduate from there with lots of great connections since as I'm told, the "Maxwell Mafia" pretty much dominates the U.S. bureaucracy and they really help each other out.

From your description, Georgetown definitely sounds like a good fit as long as it's reasonably strong in any of the policy areas that interest me. I had disregarded Syracuse/Maxwell because of the lack of an MPP, despite its high overall ranking, but the tip that their MPA has a healthy dose of analysis will get me to take a second look.

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my first post. I'm interested in policy programs as an alternative to an advanced econ degree. (I have a pretty good idea of what good econ programs are looking for, but I appreciate that part of your post anyway -- it would have been a kind dose of reality if I didn't know what's expected.) Basically, if I can't get into a decent doctoral program in economics with a little bit of funding, then I'll go to a policy program (assuming I get a decent offer somewhere), earn an MPP, and consider continuing on for a doctorate in Public Policy. So I'm interested in two separate (but somewhat related) career paths.

The MA QMSS is something I might be interested in that I (once again) had no knowledge of, so I'm definitely going to check that out.

Right, sorry, I should have been more specific. I have not seen (from the data I've looked at) people going on to do Econ Ph.D.s after MPPs/MPAs -- mostly I've seen people doing public policy/public administration Ph.D.s . I have not done a whole lot of research on this though and have no idea whether doing a dual Econ MA makes a difference (the material I've read about Georgetown's dual MA Econ/MPP does suggest there's people who progress to the Econ Ph.D., no idea if these people are funded).

Right, and if I did end up earning an MPP, I wouldn't be considering re-applying to econ programs; I'd either be job-hunting or applying to Public Policy/Public Administration Ph.D programs.

Thanks again everyone!

I'll definitely take a closer look at UC-Berkeley/Goldman, but can you elaborate on why Princeton/Woodrow Wilson would be a good fit? I guess I could have made it more clear in the original post that I'm more interested mostly interested in analysis, which means I'm much more interested in MPP programs than MPAs. WWS only offers a one-year, mid-career MPP (not for me) ... so did you have the Ph.D program in mind?

Take a look at the Econ and Policy track in the MPA program at WWS. It looks like it could be pretty rigorous.

I think Harris and GSPP are the usual recommendations. Carnegie Mellon is supposed to have a pretty rigorous curriculum also.