MPH Programs Canada 2020 - Low GPA

SB12

Graduated with a Bsc. Neuroscience and Mental Health with a minor in Psychology. 

I've applied to MPH Programs at the following schools:

McMaster

UofT

Queens

Waterloo

I've been rejected from McMaster already due to my lower gpa (2.7-2.8). I'm currently waiting to hear back from the other schools, but I have already started looking into other schools in case I need to apply to the next cycle. I have a lot of good work experience (currently working at a pharmaceutical company) worked as a medical assistant, a lot of hospital volunteering and leadership positions during my undergrad. I'm currently thinking of taking additional courses but i'm not sure if I should take them from my original school or take them at local institutions. 

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on getting into an MPH programs after being rejected? Is it worth taking additional courses? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, if you are serious about going into MPH, I think it is worth it to take more courses to boost your GPA. But I would try to look into either doing another degree or another year rather than just a few courses, as most of the schools will look at final year or final 2 years of your GPA. You may need to check individual school first for more accurate information. 

Hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of MPH schools are looking for people who are well suited and show desire for the MPH programs. If possible, try volunteering with a Public Health agency, or even better try and get a job with one. I have been working with Newborn Screening Ontario for about 3 years as a data entry clerk, but it is good experience to beef up your resume. There are also some free courses by Public Health Ontario that can show schools you are serious and passionate about the program. A lot of it is about experience. You should also look into Brock and Lakehead. My friend got into both of those with a semi-low GPA, but she did have good work/volunteering experience to make up for it. 

Your public health experience doesnt necessarily have to be with a public health agency. Remember that public health is very broad, and can be applied to many different work places. I work at a community resource centre who helps individuals who have no access to secure housing or food, and thats definitely along the lines of Social Determinants of Health. A friend got into an MPH program and works as a Research Interviewer and she was able to relate that to Public Health policies. Regardless, whatever experience you have (which is what a lot of universities are looking for), make sure you know how it can relate to Public Health, and play that up when you're writing your statement of intent, especially with a low GPA. I would suggest to take classes that will raise your last 2 years GPA. A lot of schools are looking for a B+ at least. And getting in with a 3.0 is possible, as long as your statement and references are strong. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Anxiouscat

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 3.6 or 3.7 GPA in my last two years. 80% average. but what i’m scared about is my low grade in biostats which is 72% lol. i got waitlisted for queens and rejected at guelph and there’s 70 people on that thing. i’m terrified but i have an internship that i’m hoping to get hired at and maybe next year i can apply again. so weird not knowing what you’re going to be doing coming the fall. especially with the pandemic and drop in economy. good luck everyone :(

Back in 2010, I was in a similar situation like you - super low GPA. I was rejected by all the schools I applied, despite my passion, my dedication to health. So, I had fight to improve my GPA/resume. Took me a while. Ended up getting admitted to the best programs. But it's a life-long commitment that you will need to show...you can't fix your GPA in one year. You might need to look at the lowest schools, then enter doctoral studies at your favorite school. 

• 1 month later...

Heyy 

I need help calculating my estimate canadian equivalent gpa. I’m a foreign trained dentist and have done my bachelors from pakistan. My total percentage is 67%. Please someone convert it for me and also please tell me the minimum gpa required for mph in canada

Thank you!!