Is there any advantage for a PhD applicant with independent funding?

Bao123

Hello,

I plan to apply to PhD program in the US. I was recently introduced to a scholarship program from a company in my country. It is supposed to cover the tuition fee and stipend if I am accepted to a program. It is under some conditions, though.

I wonder if this can give me any advantage when the admission committee considers my application. Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...

I do think that it should! I know of a couple people who were able to work with the professor, or get into the school they wanted, because they had that funding. It all came down to the extra funding they had that the school couldn't provide for them. 

At the very least, having that gives you a negotiation point to speak to your program or professor of interest. They are taking less of a risk on you if they don't have to fund you, so they would be way more likely to consider your application. 

IMO, as described, this funding is not independent. The funding will not provide a competitive advantage because it has conditions attached and it is from a private company.

I respectfully disagree with the notion that the funding provides "less of a risk." Risks include the reputation of a department could suffer from the perception that a degree was bought as well as the existence of unknown NDAs.

My $0.02.

Edited by Sigaba

From personal experience, I received external funding (NSF GRFP) and was offered admission to a program who had otherwise not accepted me. A lot of schools heavily promote external funding (and sometimes offer "bonus" funding as a reward for getting external fellowships), as it decreases the amount of money they have to pay you. It can also help you get into a lab of interest more easily, as a student who is partially/fully funded requires less grant money.

This may not be universal, but that's what I've experienced.