Will epidemiology programs see a surge of interest from students and funding from governments due to the Covid-19 pandemic?

hcms1

Because the covid-19 pandemic has become such a historic and consequential event of the century so far, will epidemiology departments see a surge of interest from students? How about increased funding and money for research from governments, corporations, etc?

I think it is reasonable to assume that current events will make more people aware of our field, and drive an interest in ID epi in particular. 

I also know the NIH is allocating funds for covid 19 research. However, I doubt either of these things will translate into more funding for graduate students.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on whether the school is public or private. Public school's funding comes from government, so it can be worse after covid-19 hits the economy. Private schools are relatively richer, but it's hard to say. I also doubt whether there will be fewer spots for PhD everywhere in the coming few years due to the economic recession.

• 4 weeks later...