Texas Woman’s University SLP Distance Program 2020

Hello all, 

I just wanted to talk to people who got into TWU’s SLP Distance Program cohort 2020. I know they accept every two years and I wanted to know how hard was it to get in. 

Im an out-fielder undergrad at TWU and I plan to take my leveling courses there. 

How was the process? How are the classes like? And any other feedback you can tell me. It would be much appreciated.  I plan to apply next cohort. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey- I’m in cycle 10. I was looking at the page with my coworker who may be applying. I think they are waiving the GRE requirement for Cycle 11 due to COVID-19. As far as difficulty to get in, I know you need 3 solid recommendations- I got mine from 2 SLPs- 1 previous supervisor and my current supervisor. My 3rd recommendation was from my special education director. I’m sure that helped a lot to have my sped director’s recommendation letter since you need a sponsoring school district. I also had a really good, honest personal statement letter outlining why I needed to transition from a SLPA to a SLP and how that will benefit both myself professionally and my district. My GRE scores were in the 150 area and a 5 on my writing. Since that’s not going to be factored in, I would HIGHLY suggest that you do extremely well this semester and summer if you’re taking summer courses to have a good GPA. Mine was 3.75 I think for my last 60 hours. I think now, more than ever GPA of your last 60 hours of credit, great recommendations (preferably from professors, those in the field or someone like a special ed director where you will obtain your practicum hours at) and personal statement will count most. 
For me- the process of applying was pretty simple. You will attend an informational meeting, most likely Zoom now rather than attend the meeting through the regional education center. They give you a TON of information, and it’s required to apply- that’s how you get the packet to apply. The wait for decisions can be difficult- I decided to just not think about it until it was close to time for acceptance letters to be emailed. I checked my TWU email a week before the acceptance letters were due to go out and I had been accepted. After I emailed my acceptance I took chemistry online to fulfill my conditional acceptance requirements. 
The classes are what I expected for graduate level classes. The professors are amazing and always there to answer questions. Same goes for Mrs Chance and Mrs Lynch (program directors). They seem kinda scary, but they aren’t. They’ve helped me navigate the WORST practicum supervisor in history through the fall semester (she was fired). Right now, we are 100% canvas/zoom due to COVID-19. Practicum has changed- depending on our districts and whether we are providing teletherapy. We are going to use Simucase for adult competency this summer, as most of us- if not all will not be able to do this externship. Normally we go to our region ESC on Tuesday afternoon-evening for class, Thursday is home on collaborate, but that’s changed due to closures for COVID-19. Do I like the program? YES! I’m able to continue working full-time and attend full time. Is it hard? Yes. It is difficult because being a SLP is difficult! I know I have heard from people who have worked with graduates from this program and other university programs, they say TWU grads are more prepared and competent than grads from other programs. I feel that although we do more than other programs (weekly lesson plans for practicum students), group and individual projects, we are going to be better prepared to work with a variety of clients in a variety of placements.