Grad School Faculty / Staff Bad Behavior

GradSchoolGrad

When I was in graduate school, I saw some at most shady / at least borderline unprofessional behavior from faculty and staff. 

Example 1: Staff member befriending, partying with, and gossiping with students + giving insider grad school information to chosen "student friends".

Example 2: Faculty member publicly informing a student in front of the entire class that he would never make it to graduate school at Harvard because his grades are never good enough. 

I hope no one else has had any similar or worse experiences, but if you have... please share. I am curious!

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Faculty behaving badly......lets see constant microaggressions and sometimes direct aggressions aimed at students in class, sleeping with undergrads and grads, showing up to class in last nights smeared makeup and whatever club/concert stamp, repeatedly not showing up to class, and constantly telling students it isn't their job to teach or offer training opportunities.

16 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Faculty behaving badly......lets see constant microaggressions and sometimes direct aggressions aimed at students in class, sleeping with undergrads and grads, showing up to class in last nights smeared makeup and whatever club/concert stamp, repeatedly not showing up to class, and constantly telling students it isn't their job to teach or offer training opportunities.

JEEZ... are these staff / instructors/adjuncts/ or professors or all of the above??? 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Not exactly partying with or befriending.... but I've had a few professors who hung out with myself and others in a lab/building associated with a particular department.  If we walk past the office of so-and-so and the door is open, we just might walk in and shoot the breeze for a minute.  But, this is marine biology so pretty relaxed.  When this department hosts speakers it is customary to invite the speaker out to dinner afterwards off campus and any student associated with this department who was over the age of 21 was allowed to tag along, if they knew it was an option.  The age requirement was because dinner also meant drinking.  

As far as giving insider information to a select few,  it happens across the board both inside and outside of academia.  Just how the World is.  If you were one to receive such information, would you think differently about it?  

***not sure what is up with the strike-out?

Edited by Crucial BBQ

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 2:54 PM, GradSchoolGrad said:

JEEZ... are these staff / instructors/adjuncts/ or professors or all of the above??? 

All tenured or tenure track professors.  And then they're surprised when the alums aren't generous.