How to choose PhD programs in political science

Hello, 

I received offers from two universities. Both are PhD programs in political science. Political science at the first one is ranked 40, while that at the second one is ranked 61. The first one is ranked 57 nationally and 47 globally (which is weird). The second one is ranked 34 nationally and 105 globally. All the rankings are from U.S. News. Political science at the first one seems to have more influence than that at the second. But from the information on their websites, the most influential scholars at the first one have already retired. The political science at the second has more faculty members, with several prestigious professors still working actively. The first one offers a five-year funding package. The second one offers graduate assistantship for four years. Could anyone tell me which university I should choose? Funding is not a major factor. Thanks!

Edited by WhatToExpect

Undergrad rankings don’t matter at all for grad school. When considering rankings you should look at the schools specific department ranking. For example, UCSD is ranked around the 30’s, but in political science it’s a top 10. Undergrad and grad rankings do not always correlate, USNWR looks at different factors to determine that. 

On another note, I know which schools you are talking about and personally think school 1 is a better choice. But from what you say it seems like there may not be faculty there that you can work with. If that’s the case then I wouldn’t suggest you attend, as “fit” is crucial to success in grad school. But if there are faculty, and even if they aren’t prestigious, I’d suggest going with school 1. TBH there are very few political scientists that are prestigious enough to warrant selecting 2 over 1. 

Edited by Dwar

1 hour ago, Dwar said:

Undergrad rankings don’t matter at all for grad school. When considering rankings you should look at the schools specific department ranking. For example, UCSD is ranked around the 30’s, but in political science it’s a top 10. Undergrad and grad rankings do not always correlate, USNWR looks at different factors to determine that. 

On another note, I know which schools you are talking about and personally think school 1 is a better choice. But from what you say it seems like there may not be faculty there that you can work with. If that’s the case then I wouldn’t suggest you attend, as “fit” is crucial to success in grad school. But if there are faculty, and even if they aren’t prestigious, I’d suggest going with school 1. TBH there are very few political scientists that are prestigious enough to warrant selecting 2 over 1. 

Thank you!

If I want to be a university professor after graduation, does the ranking of my PhD school really matter? I heard some people said that graduates from schools after T20 were not much different. 

1 hour ago, WhatToExpect said:

Thank you!

If I want to be a university professor after graduation, does the ranking of my PhD school really matter? I heard some people said that graduates from schools after T20 were not much different. 

It does matter to a point. 

You should check out the placement at both of the schools to see where their students end up. You have to determine if those sorts of jobs are the ones that Would satisfy your career aspirations.