Will a lack of a major independent research project disqualify me?

MtrlHstryGrl

Hello, hello. 

I had applied for a summer research fellowship through my Master's institution to do a major independent research project using archives, art, and sites in Italy. I was denied funding based on the fact that my university has decided to suspend all research projects abroad. I knew I would get rejected because of it, but it has made me incredibly upset and anxious, as I will probably not have a large, independent research project when I apply to a PhD program. My school does not do Master's theses -- I am submitting a writing sample that was a seminar paper (and has been selected for publication). Will I be completely disqualifying myself by not having a big research project at the Master's level? I am fairly confident about literally every other part of my application (two article publications, have been a graduate research assistant, will be a graduate teaching assistant, multiple languages, strong LOR, fit, etc.), but I am irrationally afraid of not having that project.

2 hours ago, MtrlHstryGrl said:

Hello, hello. 

I had applied for a summer research fellowship through my Master's institution to do a major independent research project using archives, art, and sites in Italy. I was denied funding based on the fact that my university has decided to suspend all research projects abroad. I knew I would get rejected because of it, but it has made me incredibly upset and anxious, as I will probably not have a large, independent research project when I apply to a PhD program. My school does not do Master's theses -- I am submitting a writing sample that was a seminar paper (and has been selected for publication). Will I be completely disqualifying myself by not having a big research project at the Master's level? I am fairly confident about literally every other part of my application (two article publications, have been a graduate research assistant, will be a graduate teaching assistant, multiple languages, strong LOR, fit, etc.), but I am irrationally afraid of not having that project.

Your question is a bit unclear to me. A master's thesis or report is not necessarily a "large, independent research project."

I think that you would be best served by preparing a writing sample that contributes to at least one historiographical debate. The foundation of this sample should be an appropriate mix of primary source materials and secondary works. If you received adequate support preparing your seminar paper, the writing sample could be an expansion or elaboration of that document.

As a potential initial step, you might consider the benefits of getting copies of earliest available works of the scholars with whom you'd like to work. These works could range from papers published during their undergraduate and graduate school days, master's reports/thesis,  and doctoral dissertations. (I would not recommend journal articles based upon dissertations at this time.)

If you have access to a research university's library's physical and digital resources, you will likely be able to find enough materials to do excellent work. You could also start reaching out to historians and other academics in Italy now. People in pain and in grief can sometimes find solace by helping strangers--even when they cannot save those they love, or themselves. Or so I've heard.

Have you spoken with your thesis adviser or the DGS?  You're not the only one struggling to figure out how to make the best of the COVID-19 situation.  Even PhD students can't go abroad this summer-- and many who had been abroad have had to come back early.  PhD programs, I think, will be more understanding if you intend to finish your MA next year and don't have the kind of thesis you're hoping for.

18 hours ago, TMP said:

Have you spoken with your thesis adviser or the DGS?  You're not the only one struggling to figure out how to make the best of the COVID-19 situation.  Even PhD students can't go abroad this summer-- and many who had been abroad have had to come back early.  PhD programs, I think, will be more understanding if you intend to finish your MA next year and don't have the kind of thesis you're hoping for.

I agree. And at the same time, there are going to be applicants to programs who have take a Letterkenny approach and "figure it out." There are also going to be applicants who for reasons that are fair, unfair, and lucky have access to people and resources that others don't because of COVID-19.

So while decision makers will be willing to understand that the production of a writing sample may have been adversely impacted by COVID-19, that understanding may give way in favor of a writing sample that exceeds expectations.