MSW Fall 2021

Sphilli2121

It's not too early to start thinking about it.  Good luck!

On 4/10/2020 at 5:49 PM, Sphilli2121 said:

May be a little too early to start, but I will be applying to MSW programs for Fall 2021. My top schools are UMichigan, UChicago, Columbia, WashU in St. Louis, and Tulane. Anyone else out there?

hi! I'm looking at schools right now too and I'm currently making a list, though all the schools seem to blurring together. Do you mind explaning why you're applying to the schools you listed?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I really want to do humanitarian and international social work, so I want social work program that gives me opportunities to engage with international issues with the classes that I take and the field placement that I do. All of the MSW programs excluding Tulane have opportunities for international social work that I am looking for. As for my why I am applying to Tulane, I am from Louisiana and would love to be close to home if possible. Have you made your list yet?

yeah, pretty much! I want to focus on child psychology so I'm looking into child welfare/mental health concentrations as well as some that I can tailor to child psychology. I have some schools that I am not 100% on yet but I am for sure applying to Smith, University of Denver, Case Western Reserve, BU, WashU in St. Louis, UChicago and UMichigan. 

• 1 month later...

Never too early to start applications! I'm trying to narrow my list down to 3 by September. So far I have Columbia and WashU in St. Louis.

My fallback is UT Arlington where I'm currently finishing my BSW. Their macro program isn't very strong, though.

Hi everyone, never too early to start the discussion! I'm interested in msw programs with a clinical focus so that I can get my lcsw and practice in mental health therapy. I am an undergraduate rising senior majoring in Psychology and minoring in Sociology. I have grown up in North Carolina my entire life and wish to go to grad school up north! Still narrowing my top choices but am strongly considering Rutger's University of New Brunswick, Columbia University, NYU, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and University of North Carolina at Charlotte. 

On 7/24/2020 at 1:20 PM, arianaavocado said:

Hi everyone, never too early to start the discussion! I'm interested in msw programs with a clinical focus so that I can get my lcsw and practice in mental health therapy. I am an undergraduate rising senior majoring in Psychology and minoring in Sociology. I have grown up in North Carolina my entire life and wish to go to grad school up north! Still narrowing my top choices but am strongly considering Rutger's University of New Brunswick, Columbia University, NYU, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and University of North Carolina at Charlotte. 

That's what my plan is as well. Looking at UPenn, Temple University, West Chester University, (possibly) Bryn Mawr, The Ohio University, Cleveland State, Monmouth, and maybe UMichigan. Still narrowing down, but Temple and West Chester have their SOP questions up so I've actually started working on that. Good luck!

Is it possible to apply too early? The priority deadline for one school is in December but the application opens in September. Let's say I get the app submitted Sept/Oct, would I receive notification of being accepted or denied sooner? Would the school question someone who submitted their app that early?

Hi all, 

I'm in the same boat as you all. Currently working on narrowing down my schools. Quick question I wanted to ask. How are you all planning on submitting your references? Have any of you considered Interfolio or used it in the past for references? I plan on applying to 8+ schools and without there being a centralized application system for MSW programs it seems like it would be a bit tedious for recommenders to fill out that many references. 

Much thanks to you all and good luck!

Hi @rsimons1993 I’ve gone to a few information sessions & they have said that a reference needs to be submitted by the person writing it. They mentioned there is a link for the reference to use. You send them the link, they upload it. I don’t know if every school is the same. 

can I inquire why you’re applying to 8+ schools? I’m advanced standing and want to do a macro route which has greatly limited my choices, but I  had a difficult time finding three programs to apply for. 

4 minutes ago, LML2021 said:

Hi @rsimons1993 I’ve gone to a few information sessions & they have said that a reference needs to be submitted by the person writing it. They mentioned there is a link for the reference to use. You send them the link, they upload it. I don’t know if every school is the same. 

can I inquire why you’re applying to 8+ schools? I’m advanced standing and want to do a macro route which has greatly limited my choices, but I  had a difficult time finding three programs to apply for. 

Thanks for the response @LML2021 and good to know. 

And of course. I planned on applying to 8+ because I am hoping to land a Coverdell fellowship as a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer. There are a lot of MSW programs that partner with the Peace Corps, but they only give fellowships to a few (2-5) RPCVs each year, so I figured I would apply to several with the hopes of landing one!

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2020 at 10:19 PM, rsimons1993 said:

Hi all, 

I'm in the same boat as you all. Currently working on narrowing down my schools. Quick question I wanted to ask. How are you all planning on submitting your references? Have any of you considered Interfolio or used it in the past for references? I plan on applying to 8+ schools and without there being a centralized application system for MSW programs it seems like it would be a bit tedious for recommenders to fill out that many references. 

Much thanks to you all and good luck!

Ooh I have the same question about submitting LOC's.

Do you think it would be easy/acceptable that once you get the all or at least most of the links for the recommenders-- to make a list in an email for each of them to go through and have easy access? I am still not quite sure how that system works, especially since it is not centralized. I am also applying to a lot of school (around 10) so I want to make sure the process goes smoothly. any tips help! 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Is anyone on this thread applying to UC Berkeley's MSW program? I have a question regarding the experience required for admission. I have worked as a Medical Assistant and had direct patient care but I am not sure if that would be acceptable experience. I have other experience that I know for a fact would be accepted, but I'm questioning if I should even bother including MA experience on my resume. The definition for the type of social work experience they are looking for is:

We are looking for experience working directly with and on behalf of people and communities in need, including those experiencing social and emotional distress, vulnerable or marginalized populations, and those who are historically under-served.

Is anyone else in a similar situation and wondering what to include?

What I find Ironic is that some of the schools of social work charge "alot" for tuition, but for clinical social work MSW they are all about the same classes for the most part.  I don't know much about scholarships but I question paying for an expensive option verses an in-state school. It seems to be all about "billing" for work done when a person gets their LCSW. I am interested in getting a MSW but am probably going to have to work the whole time I get it. I have a year of experience in the field and question my own "privilege" every day I get another person wanting something for nothing. So my empathy may be lacking, but I think I would make a good therapist. I also don't really see a connect with the clinical side and doing low paying jobs for "experience". Thoughts- a friend told me that I may not have the empathy for being a therapist as I tend to see things in a pragmatic sort of way, which can be described as a tad more conservative. Anywho......

I applied to Columbia for spring 2021— I’m not sure where else I’m going to apply. Does anyone know the pros and cons of online vs in person MSWs? I know that online students still do field work, so I’m not worried about that. Do employers not like online MSWs? 

9 hours ago, rsimons1993 said:

Hi everyone!

Is anyone on this thread applying to UC Berkeley's MSW program? I have a question regarding the experience required for admission. I have worked as a Medical Assistant and had direct patient care but I am not sure if that would be acceptable experience. I have other experience that I know for a fact would be accepted, but I'm questioning if I should even bother including MA experience on my resume. The definition for the type of social work experience they are looking for is:

We are looking for experience working directly with and on behalf of people and communities in need, including those experiencing social and emotional distress, vulnerable or marginalized populations, and those who are historically under-served.

Is anyone else in a similar situation and wondering what to include?

Of course it is. You just need to explain how assisting people as a an MA made you realize your desire to assist individuals. I do not know your specific experience but if you were an MA in an oncology office for example, demonstrate how assisting those individuals convinced you to pursue your MSW. Social work is all about working with vulnerable individuals and communities. Just translate your experience to why you want to pursue an MSW. If this doesn't work, then you might need to demonstrate this by volunteering or if you have a unique enough history, then that could work. Plenty of people get into an MSW program who don't have the "right" experience. You just need to explain to them why social work, why you specifically should be accepted into the program, and why now. 

I hope this helps in some way. If you don't have much work experience or life experience, I highly recommend volunteering. Plenty of places need virtual volunteers and you could volunteer in a food pantry or socially distant visit people who can't leave due to the pandemic. 

13 hours ago, ZippyZup123 said:

Of course it is. You just need to explain how assisting people as a an MA made you realize your desire to assist individuals. I do not know your specific experience but if you were an MA in an oncology office for example, demonstrate how assisting those individuals convinced you to pursue your MSW. Social work is all about working with vulnerable individuals and communities. Just translate your experience to why you want to pursue an MSW. If this doesn't work, then you might need to demonstrate this by volunteering or if you have a unique enough history, then that could work. Plenty of people get into an MSW program who don't have the "right" experience. You just need to explain to them why social work, why you specifically should be accepted into the program, and why now. 

I hope this helps in some way. If you don't have much work experience or life experience, I highly recommend volunteering. Plenty of places need virtual volunteers and you could volunteer in a food pantry or socially distant visit people who can't leave due to the pandemic. 

Thanks for your response and input.

I was a MA at a cardiology practice. Although the practice didn't specifically cater to marginalized populations, we treated patients from all walks of life. Cardiac disease doesn't discriminate. I guess I am just worried that it isn't what they are specifically looking for but I can definitely make it work.

I have quite a bit of volunteer experience with the Peace Corps, so I should be okay in that arena. 

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Just decided to transfer MSW programs - so I'm applying for fall 2021; I'm applying to NYU, Columbia, Boston University, Boston College, University of Denver, and UPenn. Currently I'm at Fordham, so if anyone has any questions, hit me up. 

On 11/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, itslizab said:

Hey! Just decided to transfer MSW programs - so I'm applying for fall 2021; I'm applying to NYU, Columbia, Boston University, Boston College, University of Denver, and UPenn. Currently I'm at Fordham, so if anyone has any questions, hit me up. 

Hey @itslizab may I ask why you’re transferring from Fordham? That may be my lead choice.

4 hours ago, LML2021 said:

Hey @itslizab may I ask why you’re transferring from Fordham? That may be my lead choice.

The program's too small for my liking, and the professors are hit or miss, but then again, that's with every program, so take that with a grain of salt.

12 hours ago, itslizab said:

The program's too small for my liking, and the professors are hit or miss, but then again, that's with every program, so take that with a grain of salt.

Thank you @itslizab ! I’m looking for a smaller more supportive program. I’m applying as Advanced Standing and choosing a macro specialization which already limits my choices. Fordham’s programs, ideals and theoretical perspective lines up with my beliefs. I appreciate your opinion! 

5 minutes ago, LML2021 said:

Thank you @itslizab ! I’m looking for a smaller more supportive program. I’m applying as Advanced Standing and choosing a macro specialization which already limits my choices. Fordham’s programs, ideals and theoretical perspective lines up with my beliefs. I appreciate your opinion! 

My pleasure. Because you’re going in as Advanced Standing, maybe you won’t experience this, but in my classes, there are undergrads and non-matriculated students.  

• 1 month later...

I applied to Bryn Mawr and Boston College both by December 1st (Early Action). I completed my interview for Bryn Mawr on December 15. On December I applied to Boston University, priority deadline is January 7, and University of Maryland, the deadline is March 15. Has anyone else applied to these schools and do you know when (and how) we are supposed to hear back? I know for BC they said I would tell me by January 8th, but don’t know about the other schools.

I applied to Bryn Mawr and Boston College both by December 1st (Early Action). I completed my interview for Bryn Mawr on December 15. On December I applied to Boston University, priority deadline is January 7, and University of Maryland, the deadline is March 15. Has anyone else applied to these schools and do you know when (and how) we are supposed to hear back? I know for BC they said I would tell me by January 8th, but don’t know about the other schools.