EMORY MPH VS. UMICH MPH -- Help!

cmoon

MPH 2020  

7 members have voted

1. 1. MPH 2020

Hi all! 

Title about says it all, I'm trying to decide today and I've narrowed 5 choices down to a final 2 -- Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University and University of Michigan. I'm interested in human behavior and health education, with a specialty in sexual and reproductive health. Here are some factors: 

Emory

+ I went to a visit day and was really impressed

- Have both a HBHE program and a concentration for sexual reproductive health under global health concentration

- Expensive! I feel the material they've sent about how much the school costs esp in comparison to others has been misleading 

+ offered me a 20k scholarship (split between both years) yesterday

- but would likely be $100,000 in debt unless other funding comes through (tuition + living expenses) 

+ my favorite school

+ connections to CDC, other public health orgs 

Michigan

- missed the visit day because of COVID, have had spotty experience connecting with faculty 

+/- Have HBHE program, sexual health classes but not defined track or concentration 

+++ Offered me a 50% tuition scholarship, would likely need to take out little to no graduate plus loans for tuition and living expenses 

- my admission is contingent on taking and passing a math class this summer 

+ high name recognition across fields of study 

Other info: I was also accepted to UIC, UCLA, and Boston. I officially declined UIC yesterday. Cost of living appears to be similar for both areas

Basically... I love one school wanted me as is but another school offered me a SIGNIFICANT financial incentive with a disclaimer. I have no idea what to do.