Staying in undergrad for extra year? Help with strengthening application for next cycle!

Averyy

Question

I'm trying to prepare to apply to master's programs for next year, Fall 2021. I applied for this application cycle and got into 1/5. 

I am a Liberal Studies major looking to continue on in academia and study English (rhetoric, critical and cultural theories). I applied to masters programs for this Fall. I only got into one program, it wasn’t one of my top choices and I did not get funding. They recommended their online program which is more affordable, I chose not to do either.

I will be speaking with my advisor but the earliest appointment available is the end of next week, I also at this point feel conflicted about the advice I have already gotten from them. Not completely their fault, now getting some outside advice I realize I didn't fully understand how to prepare (pick classes, do undergrad research, etc). I am an online student and I only have professors for 7 week courses; I didn't create some connections with professors but I am sure it is not the same as with in-person classes. So, I think there is a chance my LOR's were on the weak side.

My gpa was a lot lower than I would have liked (3.0/4.0), I did not take the GRE because the programs I applied to did not require it. I may take it this time around to apply to more programs. 

I have not graduated yet I am in my last semester--

QUESTION: I’m curious if it would be beneficial to stay in undergrad for another year to try and get a research position (I haven’t done any research) and do a minor to boost my gpa. I could do a minor in English and I’m thinking this would look good on my transcripts as well since I’m trying to get into English programs. I only took 4 upper division English courses. It would also possibly allow me to network/get better LORs. I am assuming this could help me get into other programs next round. 

I just don’t know if this sounds crazy and is a waste of time or if this is a good strategy. Is this worth the time and money? My gpa is low due to ADHD and mental health which I am working on. I’m determined to not let it stop me. I feel that I could do very well in courses for the minor.

I want to do a PhD (and hopefully at a top program in my field-UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Irvine, Yale, Carnegie Mellon, etc.) and I have heard that where you do your MA can affect where you get in for a PhD; I just want to figure out what to do next and how to go about strengthening my applications so I have a chance at good MA programs. A few MA programs I am looking at are Colorado State, San Jose State, Carnegie Mellon, Pennsylvania State.

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

I don't know much about your field of interest so can't say much about the specifics, but your plan of action sounds solid: boosting your GPA, taking the GRE, maybe trying research. Since you're trying to get into English programs, having an English minor would definitely help. I've heard faculty say Liberal Studies/Interdisciplinary majors seem vaguer on paper (compared to a straight-up English major, in your case). It could also further support that your choice to do another year of undergrad wasn't because of failure to fulfill graduation requirements.

Of course, you should still be aware (and you have probably already seen this mentioned in the forums) that competition next year is probably going to be worse compared to this year because of the lasting impacts of the COVID situation on the economy/job market. Wish you the best of luck!

If you can get an internship this summer and if you can write a thesis that will be close enough to completion next fall to use as a writing sample and you can develop relationships that may lead to more favorable LoRs and the experience is going to improve the quality of your SoP and the classes you take next year will help you develop the skills you'll need in graduate school, and you have enough chances to take classes P/F or P/NP it sounds like a good plan.

If the cost of the additional year is going to break your back or if you will be required to disclose that you applied this admission cycle, then you might want to think twice.

The extra year is unlikely to help your GPA substantially because it is hard to move that needle and you only one term of your additional year will show up on your transcripts (if that many),

(FWIW. I went to Cal on the five year plan but I selected that path early on. Overall, the plan helped . I had extra time to develop my writing skills, to manage my GPA while also working, and provided an opportunity to take more history classes with instructors more invested in teaching. I did not make the best use of the additional year IRT developing relationships with graduate students and faculty members, and I goofed around way too much.)

MA in English speaking here:

Beyond research positions, I may also suggest reaching out to faculty you've connected with in the English Department to see if there's anything they think you may be able to do to improve your application status - specifically not literature professors.

Additionally, reach out the university writing center. You might be able to get a job there, which would also look good on an application showing your devotion to English. As a consultant at the UWC, I started attending conferences, made an excellent connection with the UWC director, and now have an excellent reference. Honestly, my work in the UWC was major.

What are your long-term goals for your MA program? I may be able to help further.

image.gif