PsyD guidance

Pritika

I'm intending  to pursue PsyD in Clinical psychology. I've completed my undergrad and postgraduate in psychology. It's  been 9 years since I took a break from psychology. Currently  I'm  a Human Resource professional. Now I'll want to get back to studying. I'm from India and  I need help / guidance in choosing the universities in Canada  and also the prerequisites  that I'll need to take up. 

Hi there,

To my knowledge, there are not too many PsyD programs in Canada. There may be just a couple programs: Memorial University, University of Montreal, and the Adler school of professional psychology, I believe. The vast amount of students who wish to become clinical psychologists go through the PhD program. Ideally, you should really like research to go that route but I know students who have "faked it" to a certain extent just so they can get through their program and achieve their end goal of being a clinician. I don't think this is that uncommon but it is frowned upon if you are open about this with faculty if you are being considered for admission.

I don't know if this is true but I've spoken to other clinical psychology students who when I asked them why they didn't consider a PsyD said that it was not as well accepted in Canada. Not sure if this is the case but it is certainly less common.

All in all I would suggest that if you're really interested in clinical work and do not want to do research, it's best to do a PsyD but I would recommend checking out schools in the states. They have far more established PsyD programs there so you'll have much more choice.

I'm pursuing the PhD route myself, but if you have any questions feel free to PM, I'll try my best to answer. 

I echo my colleague above, there's not too many options in Canada. You can check out the accredited programs here: https://cpa.ca/accreditation/cpaaccreditedprograms/ It appears its only University of Laval, University of Montreal, and Memorial University (it doesn't say D.Psy but it is; the university website confirms its accreditation). 

I'm in a PhD Clinical Psychology program, but know of many friends who applied to Memorial University for the PsyD program. It seems to be a good program and its popularity is certainly increasing as more individuals are choosing to focus more on being a clinician than doing research!

I also want to point out that all of the PsyD programs in Quebec are in French. The only accredited PsyD taught in English is Memorial University.

Edited by Clinpsyc01