Twitter on the Job Market

astroid88

Lots of graduate students and professors seem to be putting time into developing their Twitter profiles. Does not having a strong profile hurt one's academic job prospects? Asking as a current graduate student.

Edited by astroid88

It doesn’t hurt not having a Twitter profile.

however, those of us who have and are active, we have greatly benefitted in different ways. As an international student, I didn’t have the network so many of my fellow graduate students had from undergrad or MA. For me twitter helped me make up for that. I es invited to talks, be commentator for conference panel, and several events because people saw me on Twitter. 

no one will penalize for not having Twitter, ever. 

Also, if you are on the job market, keep Twitter/social media to a minimum. I mean it. 

Edited by AP

Not really. I never looked up candidates' social media. Most people don't have the time but some overly curious people will find you and if they don't like what they see, they'll mention it to the search committee.

I strongly doubt it. I'll echo @TMP's comments that it may hurt more than help. If you've outspoken views in one direction or the other, you may arouse the ire of someone whose opinion matters.