Low GPA for applying to speech path. programs

Courtney 12

Question

Hello, 

I made a post about getting into Audiology programs but I'm also curious about Speech and language pathology programs!

my undergrad GPA was low and at a 2.9.

I'm currently taking post-bacc courses in speech path./communication science disorders and plan on getting a second Bachelor's degree in speech path to be prepared for and SLP graduate or Audiology program and to also bring up my GPA.

If I can I'mprove my GPA through post-bacc classes, can I still be considered for getting into graduate programs for   SLP   Will programs look at or consider a higher post-bacc GPA?

3 answers to this question

16 hours ago, Courtney 12 said:

Hello, 

I made a post about getting into Audiology programs but I'm also curious about Speech and language pathology programs!

I'm currently taking post-bacc courses in speech path./communication science disorders and plan on getting a second Bachelor's degree in speech path to be prepared for and SLP graduate or Audiology program and to also bring up my GPA.

If I can I'mprove my GPA through post-bacc classes, can I still be considered for getting into graduate programs for   SLP   Will programs look at or consider a higher post-bacc GPA?

Hi. Grades do not matter in GS. I know someone in that field who was a student leader, and she got in with a low GPA. Extra-curricular activities help. But it also depends on the school. Review the average CGPA/GPA requirements of the school. If you can't find one that accepts your grade from the school's website, email them. Also, explain why you got a low GPA.  

On 5/1/2020 at 3:52 PM, Courtney 12 said:

Hello, 

I had an undergrad GPA of 3.0 and took my speech prerequisites as a post bacc. I was accepted into 4 programs. You don’t have to complete a second BA unless it’s something you really want to do.

Edited by Cece93

If you have a 3.6 and above, your chances of getting into at least one program is fairly good, especially if you apply to many programs. If your GPA is lower, under 3.4, you better have remarkable experience that makes you a more compelling applicant than others with stronger academic backgrounds.