Biostats MS Chances?

Hello,

I'm looking to apply to Biostats MS this year (maybe a few Statistics MS as well), and I have a lower GPA (3.1) from a biology BS. Since graduating I've taken an additional 60-70 credits (averaging a 3.7 GPA) trying to figure out what I wanted to do, and I really enjoyed my math/stats classes that I never really took in undergrad. I ended up taking the full calc sequence (all As), linear algebra (A), intro to statistics (A), discrete math (B), and have become fairly proficient in both python and R. I've also been doing biomedical research the entire time, and I have accumulated 5 publications during this time (1 co-first author, 2 second author, and 2 fourth author). I'd like to do a MS first before I decide on pursuing a PhD, but my undergrad GPA makes me nervous from getting accepted to MS programs (especially my chances at getting funded). Does anybody have experience with overcoming a low GPA? What was your application cycle like?

Thanks!

First, if you're keen on doing a PhD, I would suggest you apply to PhD programs outright. Many departments will consider your application for a master's degree if they do not think you're strong enough for a PhD. Moreover, I can't think of a department that does not allow you to get an MS en route to the PhD, as all the first year classes are generally the same. You might have a decent chance at a biostats program outside the top 10 or a stats program outside the top 25 (depending on the aspects of your profile).

While the low GPA is concerning, your math-specific GPA will hold more weight, in addition to the breadth of math courses you've taken as well as standardized test scores and letters of recommendation, and reputation of school. A 3.1 looks differently depending on whether it came from, say, Duke, UNC, or ECU.

Thanks for advice! 

I don't know if I want to do a PhD in all honesty. I really like research, but I figured that I would test the waters with a MS first. You're right, I could also do this by applying to PhD programs outright, and then decide later on whether or not I want to drop out with a MS if I don't want to pursue it further.

Unfortunately, the school I went to is not a top school; it is in the top 100 of the USNWR rankings. I know that I will have great LORs (1 from my math professor) and my math GPA is good, so it sounds like GRE will end up determining where I apply.

That's fair, but IMO if you're at least 50 percent certain you might want to do a PhD, it's worth it to apply directly. Worst case scenario is you get rejected or an unfunded master's admit, but the upside is you get a funded offer and could honestly probably leave with an MS, even if you lose funding for the 2nd year, it's worthwhile. 

What math classes have you taken and what grades did you receive in them?

3 hours ago, StatsG0d said:

That's fair, but IMO if you're at least 50 percent certain you might want to do a PhD, it's worth it to apply directly

Totally agreed, maybe even 25% or less. If you can save yourself $100k, you gotta try for the opportunity for funding.  If you have zero intention of getting a PhD, then this is probably dishonest, but honestly almost nobody going into a stats PhD actually knows what they're getting into, so plenty of people end up mastering out anyways. 

4 hours ago, bayessays said:

Totally agreed, maybe even 25% or less. If you can save yourself $100k, you gotta try for the opportunity for funding.  If you have zero intention of getting a PhD, then this is probably dishonest, but honestly almost nobody going into a stats PhD actually knows what they're getting into, so plenty of people end up mastering out anyways. 

I would say that I'm more than 50% certain that I want to get a PhD. I will definitely apply to PhD programs then; thanks for the advice! I was maybe considering doing my masters at one institution and then my PhD at another institution - maybe even an institution abroad. I'm not quite sure how to take this also into consideration.

A not-insignificant number of people master out and transfer to another program. It's a little awkward, but I know tons of people who did this successfully and went to great programs later. You can always keep that option open. 

12 minutes ago, bayessays said:

A not-insignificant number of people master out and transfer to another program. It's a little awkward, but I know tons of people who did this successfully and went to great programs later. You can always keep that option open. 

I'm not dead set on that possibility, but it's nice to know that there isn't some unstated contract (social or not) where you can't do this. Thanks for the insight though, this is really interesting!