Is MSFS (Georgetown) worth 40K more than SAIS (Johns Hopkins)?

gradschool2021

Question

Hi Everyone, 

I was accepted to both the MSFS program at Georgetown and the MA program at SAIS (Johns Hopkins) (DC/Bologna). I received almost double the funding at SAIS than Georgetown and I am really torn about which program to choose. The rankings are pretty close but Georgetown is #1 right now, even though these alternate quite a bit. My main question is "Is the MSFS degree at Georgetown worth almost double the amount than SAIS?" I would love any insight or clarity about this question. I know both programs are great, but would like to hear more insight about if SFS is actually worth that much more?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

On 5/5/2020 at 7:57 AM, gradschool2021 said:

My main question is "Is the MSFS degree at Georgetown worth almost double the amount than SAIS?"

Of course not. If you got more funding at SAIS, go to SAIS. SFS is obviously really great, and the rankings aren't totally meaningless. But as your question correctly addresses, it is decidedly not twice as good.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:57 AM, gradschool2021 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I was accepted to both the MSFS program at Georgetown and the MA program at SAIS (Johns Hopkins) (DC/Bologna). I received almost double the funding at SAIS than Georgetown and I am really torn about which program to choose. The rankings are pretty close but Georgetown is #1 right now, even though these alternate quite a bit. My main question is "Is the MSFS degree at Georgetown worth almost double the amount than SAIS?" I would love any insight or clarity about this question. I know both programs are great, but would like to hear more insight about if SFS is actually worth that much more?

Thanks!

It depends on if you are taking loans out or not + your career interest area.

1. If you would have to take loans out to go to MSFS, go to SAIS... period

2. If the economics isn't an issue and you don't really know what you want to when you grow up (especially if you don't care about the quant side of things), MSFS then begins to make more sense.

However, from a brand or rankings perspective (at least for pure IR), it is moot point.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:45 AM, GradSchoolGrad said:

It depends on if you are taking loans out or not + your career interest area.

1. If you would have to take loans out to go to MSFS, go to SAIS... period

2. If the economics isn't an issue and you don't really know what you want to when you grow up (especially if you don't care about the quant side of things), MSFS then begins to make more sense.

However, from a brand or rankings perspective (at least for pure IR), it is moot point.

That is very helpful! thank you